172 classes did not nominate a class representative

TCDSU class representative elections took place across campus last week

172 classes did not nominate a class representative following the close of Trinity College Dublin Students’ Union (TCDSU) elections last week. Voting occurred in the Arts Building, Hamilton, James street and D’Olier street. Nominations were closed last week, however following counting of the nominations, it was found that 172 classes did not have a class representative.

TCDSU are now taking late nominations for student representatives on a first come first served bases, with names of the student representatives expected to be announced next week.

All four years of Italian, Music Education, Early and Modern Irish, Two Subject Moderatorship (TSM) in Greek, Deaf Studies,TSM Latin, Church of Ireland College of Education (CICE), Business and Polish, and Human Nutrition and Dietetics did not nominate prior to the deadline. All five years of Dental Science, two years of Dental Nursing and Dental Hygiene, and three years of Dental Technology also did not nominate a class representative.

There were a number of courses where three out of four years did not nominate before the deadline including Classics, Irish studies, Clinical Speech and Language Studies, Business and Russian, TSM German, Music, History, Midwifery, Middle Eastern and European Languages and Culture, Business and German, Ancient History and Archeology, TSM Russian, Philosophy, Management Science and Information Systems (MSISS) and Chemistry and Molecular Modelling.

Class representatives are managed by TCDSU Education Officer, Alice MacPherson. Speaking to Trinity News, MacPherson stated that the high number of unrepresented classes is “pretty normal at this stage,” although added that this was the first year TCDSU “chose to advertise for those positions in the weekly email and on social media”.

Every class in Trinity elects one or more class representatives, depending on its size. This person then represents their class at student councils every month and presents their views to the Union. The class representative is also a voting member of Council. The role of a class representative is to liaise between TCDSU and their classmates, as well as organising events such as class nights out.

Additional reporting by Seana Davis.

Sarah Meehan

Sarah is a 2nd year German and Economics student.