RAG Week organisers aim to raise 30k

news1Organisers of Trinity’s RAG Week activities have estimated that the money raised from charities this week could exceed last year’s fundraising record of €25,000.

Officially launched by Provost Patrick Pendergast yesterday in the Graduates Memorial Building, RAG Week has grown steadily in its fundraising ability, with students raking in €12,000 in 2011. Were €30,000 to be raised this year, it would represent a growth of 250% over a four year period.

Kicking off the week, volunteers with the Students’ Union organised a bucket collection at various points around campus. In the afternoon, an aerobics session was held by DU Dance and a concert was held in the college chapel by the Trinitones later in the evening.

An “Iron Stomach” competition in Front Square is being hosted by Trinity Sci Fi society today, the winner of which will be awarded a Trinity Ball ticket – prior requests for a vegan option on the Facebook event page were left unanswered. S2S has also arranged a sumo wrestling competition for that afternoon, and for those eligible, the SU has organised a visit to the blood donation clinic on D’Olier Street.

A “Big Fat Table Quiz of RAG Week” is taking place in the Exam Hall this evening, with Trinity Ball tickets, vouchers for the 1592 restaurant, and wine as prizes.

A traditional “line of coins” is set to take tomorrow morning, in which students are encouraged to place their spare change in a line stretching from the Campanile to Front Gate, patrolled vigilantly by SU sabbatical officers. An obstacle course outside the Pav has also been arranged, and a five-a-side football match is set to follow. The famed Trinity Come Dancing competition, which pairs up and pits many of College’s big names against each other is due to take place this evening.

Thursday will see Bricfeasta na Póite –a hangover breakfast– take place in Seomra na Gaeilge in conjunction with An Cumann Gaelach, followed by the well-established Quidditch tournament between The Phil, VDP, Trampolining, and Suas. Ents’ RAG Ball with Redlight will also be taking place in the Opium Rooms on Liberty Lane.

On Friday, the Pav is set to host a dodgeball competition, followed by a mystery tour in association with MOVE.

James Wilson

News Editor