12 societies granted full CSC recognition

news112 Trinity student societies have been granted full recognition by the Central Societies Committee (CSC).

Arabesque Soc, Caledonian Soc, Cancer Soc, Enactus, French Soc, Pool Soc, Student 2 Student (S2S), Sociology Soc, the Student Managed Fund (SMF), the Society for International Affairs (SOFIA), the Trinity Economic Forum (TEF) and the Voluntary Tuition Programme (VTP) were recognised at the CSC AGM on March 18th after gathering the 200 student signatures required for approval.

DU Clinical Therapies was granted provisional recognition.

One of the newly recognised societies, Trinity Economic Forum, which hosted its fourth annual forum this year, won Best Society Event at the CSC awards this year, while SMF won Best Small Society in 2014 and SOFIA won Best New Society in 2013.

To be granted full recognition, societies must have a record of effective events, satisfactory accounts for at least one financial year and at least 50 fully paid-up members who are registered students.

Treasurers of fully recognised societies elect the officers and eight ordinary members of the CSC executive.

Candidates must also be nominated by two treasurers of fully-recognised societies.

Fully recognised societies also usually have access to a shared room on campus.

Provisionally recognised societies are not given grants for rooms expenses, society travel, or capital items, unless the CSC executive can be satisfied that such grants are necessary to the survival of the society.

Correction, 21:10: An earlier version of this article had incorrectly implied that the Student Managed Fund won Best Small Society in 2015. 

Photo: Attie Papas