Former DULBC captain awarded Sports Person of the Year

SPORTRuth Morris of the Dublin University Ladies Boat Club (DULBC) was awarded Sports Person of the Year at the annual Dublin University Central Athletic Club (DUCAC) Sports Awards on Wednesday night.

Morris, a final-year student and DULBC crew member since 2012, was the team captain for 2013-14 and rows internationally. She represented Trinity and Ireland at the World University Games in France last year.

“It’s a great honour to be presented with such a prestigious award, especially with the high calibre of sporting achievements amongst the athletes nominated,” Morris told Trinity News shortly after the win. “Sport in Trinity plays a huge role in many students college life and this was quite evident from those that attended the 40th Annual Sporting Commons.”

The ladies basketball team, which won the Division 1 League title for the first time in its history last month, won Sports Team of the Year.

Team captain and club president, Rebecca O’Keefe, told Trinity News that the team is “absolutely delighted” to have won the award. “The basketball club is really going from strength to strength this year,” she said.

DULBC’s Andrew Coleman, who has been with the club since 2006, won Coach of the Year.

Some of the other awards presented on the night included Student Club Administrator of the Year, awarded to Ryan Hewitt of the men’s basketball team; and the Contribution to Trinity Sport award, won by Bert O’Brien for his work with DU Water Polo.

Photo: Tony O’Sullivan