Trinity projects secure over €10 million from Science Foundation Ireland

Five projects were funded in Trinity for equipment and facilities

SCITECHFive projects in Trinity College Dublin were awarded funding today as part of the Science Foundation Ireland (SFI) Research Infrastructure Awards. The five projects which span three different sectors were awarded an accumulative €10 million in funding.

The projects funded in Trinity were Low Frequency Array (LOFAR) and Pervasive Nation in the Big Data Analytics, Internet of Things (IoT) and Networks Sector, Additive Manufacturing (AM) and Trifolium Dubium in the Manufacturing sector and GeoRise in the Natural Resources and Hazards Sector.

The Minister for Enterprise, Trade and Innovation, Richard Bruton announced the funding today in Offaly. The Research Infrastructure Awards are awarded to fund research equipment and facilities for projects in Ireland that address major research opportunities and challenges.

At the announcement, Minister Bruton said “By investing in world-class R&D infrastructure, both at a regional and national level, this will ensure that we can compete at the highest levels internationally and continue to turn more good ideas into good jobs”.

A total of 21 projects were funded to the amount of €28.8 million. Projects were funded in a number of other institutes including University College Dublin, University College Cork, Dublin City University, NUI Maynooth and University of Limerick.