USI calls for political parties to commit to abortion referendum

USI President Kevin Donoghue: access to free, safe and legal abortions in Ireland is “critical to advancing gender equality and the position of women in Irish society”

NEWSThe Union of Students in Ireland (USI) has called for political parties to commit to holding a referendum on repealing the Eighth Amendment if elected in the coming general election.

USI has called for the repeal of the Eighth Amendment of the Constitution (Article 40.3.3), the Protection of Life During Pregnancy Act 2013 and the Regulation of Information (services outside the State for the termination of pregnancies) Act 1995. They called for the Protection of Life During Pregnancy Act to be replaced with laws that ensure “safe and legal access to abortion, at a minimum, in cases of rape, incest, risk to health or fatal foetal impairment.”

In a press release, President of USI Kevin Donoghue said that: “Irish women should have access to free, safe and legal abortion services, at the very least when a woman’s life is at risk – including from suicide, and in cases of rape, incest or fatal foetal abnormality.” He further spoke about how access to free, safe and legal abortions in Ireland is “critical to advancing gender equality and the position of women in Irish society.” He referred to the fact that: “The cost of travelling to the UK is too restrictive,” therefore making it almost impossible for many women to travel there.

Almost 25% of women who give Irish addresses when availing of abortion services in the UK are aged 18-24.

TCDSU is also in favour of of repealing the Eighth, having a mandate since a 2014 referendum on the matter to publicly and actively campaign for abortion on request of the woman.