CSC grants provisional recognition to new Trinity Musical Theatre Society

One of the aims of the new society is the holding of larger scale musicals that will be worked on through out the year

The Central Societies Committee Friday granted provisional society status to Trinity Musical Theatre Society, Trinity News has learned.

DU Players and DU Music society are currently active on campus, however after reviewing the Musical Theatre Society application, the CSC executive was satisfied the application met their criteria. Part of the criteria for establishing a society is to ensure the proposed society’s objectives do not overlap with those of an existing society.

One of the aims of the new society is the holding of larger scale musicals that will be worked on through out the year. This contrasts to the smaller scale musical productions that DU Players are currently able to produce.

Trinity News understands that the new society plans to use the Royal Irish Academy of Music on Westland Row as a rehearsal space. RIAM became an associated college of TCD in 2013, which was described at the time as a “dynamic and thriving partnership”.

For a group of students to form a society under the CSC’s rules, the signatures and ID numbers of 200 students and staff members who would like to see the society being recognised in College must be first collected. The constitution of the proposed society and the list of signatures to must then be sent to the secretary of the CSC. The students will then be assigned a time where they can come in person to put their case for society to the executive of the CSC.

Once a society has then been in existence for a year and submitted satisfactory accounts of their income and expenditure, a secretary’s report for the same period, a copy of their constitution and evidence showing that the society has 50 or more fully paid-up members, they will be proposed for full recognition at a CSC AGM.  They will then become a full member of the CSC with voting rights, and eligibility for full grants.

Matthew Mulligan

Matthew is Editor for the 62nd volume of Trinity News. He is a Sociology and Social Policy graduate and was previously Deputy Editor of tn2 Magazine.