Carnivlaw, candy floss and carousels of dancing

“Featuring candy floss, face painters and bucket loads of popcorn, by the time we arrived at the venue, the party was certainly in full-swing.”

Carnivlaw, the second Ents night of Freshers’ Week, drew large crowds and for good reason. Hundreds of students descended upon Camden Street’s Opium Rooms, and they were not disappointed. The event was hosted by LawSoc, DU Dance and DU Circus, and they combined well for a genuinely original night out.

The excitement for Carnivlaw reached fever pitch as wristbands sold out fromEnts and Lawsoc almost immediately after college opened. The event page was flooded with messages for bands with many willing to pay double the price.

The usual LawSoc crowd were balanced nicely by the outgoing DU Circus and DU Dance giving us waves of different colourful characters, from dancers, gem-adornments and top hats from all areas.

img_9636

The night began with pre-drinks at the Pav, with party-goers moving swiftly on to the popular Opium Rooms.

Upon arriving at Opium rooms we were greeted by a line of jugglers to keep us entertained while we waited for admission. It really added to the vibe and assured us that we were in for something different.

Featuring candy floss, face painters and bucket loads of popcorn, by the time we arrived at the venue, the party was certainly in full-swing. The smell of the candy floss was too much to bear, so we made a bee-line for it as soon as we came in the door.

The club was packed out the door, with queues literally going around the corner, a testament to the event’s popularity. Padraic Rowley, the Ents officer, managed to open another room which saw an extra 150 of the highly in-demand tickets released at the door.

Carnivlaw well and truly ended with a bang, not a whimper and the ever present crowd in Romas II for their garlic, cheese chips topped off the night the way it should be.

Bláithín Sheil

Bláithín Sheil is a final year Law and French student. After a year abroad in Strasbourg, she feels more French than Irish. Loves to run. She is the Deputy Comment Editor of Trinity News.