Top society picks for freshers’ fair

Luke O’Reilly and Ferdy Emmet pick out the essential sign-ups for this week, so save yourself the four-year trial and error

The Phil

The Phil is the oldest student society in the world which goes from strength to strength every year. Popular among freshers, the Phil considers its members to all be part of one big Phamily (Lord!). A tight-knit group, they can be spotted across college in their maroon t-shirts making many students wonder if it’s a cult. With debates every Thursday, paper readings, and numerous parties throughout the year, there’s definitely something to pique your interest. From discussions on Terrorism to Beyoncé, with post debate wine receptions, your Thursday nights will never be the same.

Pretentiousness – 10

Fun – 9

Intellectuality – 8

How necessary to join – 100%

The Hist

As the heart of college debating, the Hist is a must for any fresher. With its membership lasting all four years, you’ll find that four years still isn’t enough time to impeach all of your friends while shouting about smashing capitalism as you sit on an actual throne. Hist debates happen every Wednesday night and the society holds esteemed alumni such as Wolfe Tone and Robert Emmet. Highlights of the upcoming year include a debate of sci-fi motions, a visit from deputy UK PM Nick Clegg and a puppy room this Thursday! Need we say more?

Pretentiousness – 8

Fun – 9

Intellectuality – 10

How necessary to join – 100%

DU Players

What reason could you have for not joining Players? As the most active college society and drama society in the country, Players put on two student shows every week and events every Wednesday, and host numerous workshops and guests throughout the year. They have auditions all Freshers’ Week, but also courses where you can learn any aspect of theatre, from lighting to publicity. Come see the glitter fly with them at Freshers’ Ball, and get a real taste of your arts degree.

Pretentiousness – 7

Fun – 10

Intellectuality – 6

How necessary to join – 95%

Law Soc

A key part of student life, Law Soc is an essential society to join. Not only do they hold highly esteemed speakers and mock trials, the society’s Law Ball is the biggest and best society event every year. This year will see Labour Leader (at time of publication) Jeremy Corbyn and former astronaut Buzz Aldrin speak to the society. Law Soc will also be co-hosting Carnivlaw in Opium Rooms on Tuesday. Test the sesh and see if they’re the society for you.

Pretentiousness – 9

Fun – 9

Intellectuality – 9

How necessary to join – 90%

VDP

The Society of St Vincent De Paul aims to improve lives across Ireland. The Trinity branch of this society comes with the fun of all the above societies, but also the knowledge that you’re helping others. Each year the society holds a pantomime (this year a wonderful adaption of Harry Potter) with disadvantaged schools across the city, as well as the annual Camino trip (part pilgrimage, part paracetamol-fueled wine binge) to raise funds for VDP Zambia, and countless other activities every week. If you like Disney cosplay and shifting all of your friends, this is the society for you. As well as that, it’s free to join, so why not?

Pretentiousness – 0

Fun – 10

Intellectuality – N/A

How necessary to join – 100%

Politics Society

The heart of any political discussion on campus, Politics Society is a must in this year of the US election, and with an abortion referendum looking more and more likely, what reason could you have to say no? This year’s planned guests include Michael Martin and Stephen Donnelly, as well as numerous analysts, journalists and satirists. With their infamous weekly caffeinated conversations and pub crawls, they’re one society to watch.

Pretentiousness – 7

Fun – 8

Intellectuality – 9

How necessary to join – 75%

Cumann Gaelach

The Cumann are an absolute essential society for those who favour simple craic and free lunch every Wednesday at 1pm. To add to this, you’ll be constantly supplied with tea, coffee and cúpla brioscaí in their hangout spot, Seomra na Gaeilge. They also run a week-long Irish culture festival called Éigse during February as well trips to the notorious Oireachtas and further afield too.

Pretentiousness – 5

Fun – 10

Intellectuality – 8

How necessary to join – 100%

DU History

“History? Ugh that was so last year”. Well, not anymore thanks to one of Trinity’s most vibrant societies. From themed club nights to trips across Europe, this society is basically the college version of Horrible Histories: fun, honest and makes you come away feeling that bit more intelligent.

Pretentiousness – 5

Fun – 7.5

Intellectuality – 9

How necessary to join – 75%

Trinity Orchestra

With a strong ensemble, Trinity Orchestra’s talent and banter make them the perfect society for anyone with a love of music. Even if you don’t play an instrument, members can avail of discounted tickets and be in with all the hot goss before anyone else.

Pretentiousness – 10

Fun – 8

Intellectuality – 7

How necessary to join – 75%

Trinity Musical Theatre Society

Musical theatre has a long tradition in Trinity, with the VDP running their annual panto, and Players putting on one or two small ones over the years. However, new to the Trinity society scene, the Musical Theatre Society aims to put on major productions with a full cast.

Pretentiousness – 3

Fun – 10

Intellectuality – 2

How necessary to join – 80%

Metafizz Society

Possibly Trinity’s most active small-medium sized society, the Metafizz organises weekly talks by philosophers and other thinkers of note that are swiftly followed by a night of animated conversation in the Gingerman pub. Previous guests include the philosopher A.C. Grayling and Daily Mail columnist Peter Hitchens (brother of Christopher). This year’s committee are widening the scope of guests and events to include academics such as the left-wing ideologue Terry Eagleton, and a panel on Psychoanalysis in the first term alone.

Pretentiousness – 5

Fun – 8

Intellectuality – 9

How necessary to join – 90%

Jewish Society

Not just for Jewish people. Trinity’s Jewish Society is a cultural society that runs a weekly Shabbat celebration every Friday in the chapel that effectively involves gorging yourself on delicious free Jewish food in a friendly environment. They run film screenings and falafel dinners on a monthly basis, and this year they’ll be taking a (heavily subsidised) trip to Morocco.

Pretentiousness – 0

Fun – 9

Intellectuality – 7

How necessary to join – 60%

DU Food and Drink

If you don’t like food or drink then you’re probably dead. If you do like food and drink then join this society for discounts for all of Dublin’s best restaurants, cheesemongers and off licenses. Food and Drink society really are one of the gems of Trinity and, although their events (such as wine tastings and four course black-tie dinners) are notoriously difficult to get tickets for, if you do manage to get one you’ll be in for a night to remember.

Pretentiousness – 6

Fun -10

Intellectuality – 4

How necessary to join – 80%

DU Snowsports

It is likely that upon entering Front Square you will have already noticed the Snowsports society. They’re the ones blaring Mr. Brightside by the Killers out of obnoxiously loud speakers and looking like the rollover of an Abercrombie & Fitch launch afterparty. Well known proprietors of the notorious annual ski trip (google it regarding scandals to see further), the Snowsports society also run a number of nights out throughout the year, but they basically exist to promote the ski trip in order to get free tickets to it from the external company that actually organises the whole thing.

Pretentiousness – 7

Fun – 8

Intellectuality – 0

How necessary to join – 50%

Environmental Society

Much like climate change, this society has been getting hotter and hotter every year. Last year they helped to successfully organise a fossil fuel divestment campaign and run a bunch of talks and film screenings. They’re the kind of people who give you a delicious apple as a present and then tell you they picked it out of a bin after you’ve started eating it. Join it to prove to your friends that you’re not a dirty global warming denier who still laughs at reruns of Two and a Half Men on E4.

Pretentiousness – 4

Fun – 9

Intellectuality – 7

How necessary to join – 95%

Literary Society

The Literary Society are a society that almost everyone tries once, and if it’s for you you’ll have a great time. A friendly bunch, they’ll happily talk to anyone who visits them in their room at the top of House 6. More geared towards people who prefer Tumblr to Tolstoy, if you like spoken word poetry and dressing up as your favourite literary character while getting sotted on gin, then you’ll fit right in.

Pretentiousness – 10

Fun – 6

Intellectuality – 2

How necessary to join – 60%

Afro-Caribbean Society

See the group of people jamming away on drums in the middle of Front Square? That’s Trinity’s Afro-Caribbean society. They run a weekly drums practice as well as delicious food nights and film screenings. Well worth their €2 sign up fee for the good vibes they bring to Freshers’ Week alone.

Pretentiousness – N/A

Fun – 10

Intellectuality – 4

How necessary to join – 100%

DUPA

DUPA is a small society that has been moving from strength to strength over the last few years. The Dublin University Photography Association run a weekly photographic tour of the city centre as well as classes oriented towards teaching you new skills and trips away to beautiful European cities. If you want to take the kind of photos that your kids can find stuffed into a box and that will cause them to wonder at how cool you used to be before you sold out to a Big Four company and plateaued at middle management, then DUPA will cater to all of your future selves’ nostalgic needs.

Pretentiousness – 7

Fun – 8

Intellectuality – 6

How necessary to join – 85%

*There have been minor edits for tone.
Written by Luke O’Reilly and Ferdy Emmet