Trinity professor launches education programme for young unemployed adults

The launch for Career LEAP took place in Trinity Chapel last night

NEWS

Minister for Public Expenditure and Reform, Paschal Donohoe TD, has launched a programme, led by a Trinity professor, to help young unemployed adults in Dublin’s north inner city gain employment. The launch took place last night in Trinity Chapel.

Career Local Employment Action Partnership (LEAP) targets 18-25 year olds and aims to develop the social, emotional and cognitive skills necessary for developing career identity and work-readiness. Professor Carmel O’Sullivan, Head of School of Education at Trinity, developed the programme in conjunction with Swan Youth Service, East Wall Youth and Business in the Community Ireland (BITCI). 18 prominent businesses in the Dublin area also contributed to its development.

The educational intervention is comprised of ten modules over a two week period. This is followed by a three-week unpaid work placement, offered by local businesses. So far eleven young people have successfully completed the first programme, ten of whom are now in employment or education. Minister Donohoe presented them with certificates of participation at the launch.

Commenting on the programme, Professor O’Sullivan said: “The training has been specifically developed with activities that resonate with 18-24 year olds’ needs and interests. These activities are grounded in real world issues and problems, to facilitate the transfer of skills learned during training to everyday life and the workplace.”

Speaking at the launch, Minister Donohoe commended Career LEAP for providing a “valuable route for young adults into the rewarding and fulfilling world of employment and/or education.”

The programme was funded by the City of Dublin Education and Training Board (CDETB), and the Department of Children and Youth Affairs along with a number of local businesses. It is hoped that another Career Leap course will run in 2017.