Garda investigation launched in IT Sligo as letter threatening to shoot students found

A Garda investigation has been launched following the discovery of a letter allegedly written by an Institute of Technology (IT), Sligo student threatening to shoot fellow students in an exam hall next month.

The letter was discovered in a classroom on Tuesday, December 6. The author claims to have been picked on for having poor English, and vows to kill “six students” using a “fully loaded Glock 17” to “smoke them all,” which he claims to have purchased on the Dark Web.

Upon its discovery, the letter was reported to Gardai by staff and it is understood that the letter is not being treated as a hoax.

An email has been sent to staff and students of IT Sligo from its President, Dr Brendan McCormack, stating that the “safety and security of our students and staff is paramount.” It continues to say that “all appropriate security arrangements are in place and the Institute continues to consult with the Gardai on a daily basis.”

The letter in its entirety reads, “Letter towards my mean class members.

I feel very sad because my class members bully me, they are a bunch of dicks, they pick on me because my English is very bad. I promised myself that I’d bring a fully loaded Glock 17 and smoke them all. I bought the gun on the dark web on Silk Road. It’s going to come by the 9th of December and I’ll bring it to an exam hall on the 15th of January and use it then. I plan to kill six students within the period of ten minutes, slowly and painfully. I will have two magazines with equal amounts of 40 bullets.”