A Rumble in the Jungle for RAG Week

Some of Trinity’s rivaling societies were given a chance to swing a justified punch all in the name of charity last night in District 8

trinity-lifeRumble in the Jungle with SUAS, this years rumble for RAG week, provided an excitingly different type of club night to the usual Coppers Tuesdays. Taking place in District 8, the audience watched nine different boxing matches before the ring was cleared away and the dance floor opened. This proved to be a successful change from the normal club routine, one the that the audience clearly enjoyed.

The night began with a fight between Harry Morris and Fiachra McCann, representing the Phil and Europa respectively. Morris won in a unanimous decision but there was clearly no animosity between the fighters, with both being in good spirits afterwards. The next fight ended in a split decision from the judges to favour Jack Richard Kennedy over Fintan O’Connor.  The music in the interval was provided by Trinity’s Battle of the Bands Finalists Moogee.

Chants from the crowd were a prevalent feature throughout the night. Cian Kelly from DU History took inspiration from these cheers as he went on to beat SUAS’ Ciaran Ó Baoghill. Ronan Mac Giolla Rua of the Hist also drew loud support from the crowd that led him to victory over Oisin O’Brien from BioSoc. Abbie O’Neill of VDP beat Marian Ahmed in the next fight.

One of the highest quality fights of the night was between Dillon Hennessey and Jack Feehan, with Hennessey taking the win for the University Times. However the best fight of the night was saved to the last as two heavyweights, James Lardner and Dan Finnamore, went toe to toe. Larder won in a thrilling contest that ended the boxing stage of the night on a high. The ring was then cleared away and house music was provided by BoraBora. This drew an end to an out of the ordinary but enjoyable night in District 8.