Alternative Study Spots

Bored of the Berkeley? As exam season looms ahead, it’s worth considering the benefits of expanding your revision horizons beyond your usual spot. If all the plug sockets in the world can’t motivate you to hit the lib, then perhaps a change of scene is what you need

Illustration: Sinaoife Andrews

Accents, Stephen Street Lower

“It’s great for people-watching and there’s no pressure on any customer to vacate their sofa spot – not even for a die-hard hipster.”

Sure, it’s no longer a secret hipster haven, but the sofas are wonderfully comfy, the WiFi is top notch and the edible offerings are tasty and reasonably priced. You can linger over a coffee while you (pretend to) type intensely on your laptop, all the while earwigging on the generally ridiculous conversations of the people around you. It’s great for people-watching and there’s no pressure on any customer to vacate their sofa spot – not even for a die-hard hipster. Bonus: Accents is located far enough from Trinity to warrant another coffee break on the way back to the Arts Block, to break up the VERY long walk back to campus. Result!

Dubray Books, Grafton Street

“The best bit about Dubray’s café is undoubtedly the atmosphere. It’s serene and sophisticated, unlike the library during exam season.”

This spot might be more suited to literary types desperately hoping to gain divine inspiration from the surrounding bookshelves. Nevertheless, it’s a lovely place to spend a couple of hours. Dubray have a relatively little-known café on the top floor of their main Grafton Street store, offering coffee, reliable WiFi, a few sweet treats and plenty of tables which are sturdy enough – just make sure to pick one with a socket lurking nearby. The best bit about Dubray’s café is undoubtedly the atmosphere. It’s serene and sophisticated, unlike the library during exam season. The view is also a major plus, with the large windows allowing customers a fantastic view of Grafton Street and providing ample material for daydreaming. What’s not to love?

Costa Coffee, Dawson Street

“Although often busy and therefore noisy, it can be a good place to perch your behind for a few hours, as long as you have dependable headphones and a good supply of willpower.”

As we are all aware, Costa is a severely overpriced establishment which needs to pull up its coffee-stained socks ASAP. However, the sofas (particularly those located downstairs) in the Dawson Street branch are exceedingly comfy, and it is for this reason, and this reason alone, that it is worth checking out. Although often busy and therefore noisy, it can be a good place to perch your behind for a few hours, as long as you have dependable headphones and a good supply of willpower. In the past, hundreds of unsuspecting and stressed students have fallen prey to Costa’s pricey charms, and have been observed many a time at the upstairs counter counting out pennies to pay for a fifth consecutive flat white. Their WiFi is sound enough, but requires registration. Don’t rely too heavily on it working 100% of the time, as it can be a little bit dodgy on occasion.

The Rose Garden (beside the Museum Building)

“You can connect to TCDwifi from here, but the coverage, much like throughout campus, is fleeting”

This one is a bit more unconventional, but it’s a gem of a spot on a bright day. Coming from the Arts Block, it can be accessed by turning left after the Museum Building, and boasts an abundance of shrubbery, benches and a priceless taste of the outdoors with which no café can compete. Okay, so it mightn’t be the most appropriate location for an intense study session, but it’s definitely suitable for anyone who needs to catch up on reading or is on a highlighting spree. You can connect to TCDwifi from here, but the coverage, much like throughout campus, is fleeting. On the plus side, it offers plenty of subject matter for Instagram, and is definitely the most romantic place to study in the Trinity vicinity. It’s also a groovy place to seek a spouse, due to its relaxed atmosphere.

The “Stuff It” Saloon, Outer Space

If none of these study spots tickle your fancy, don’t fret. Just don’t bother! Tell your exams to “stuff it”, chuck the books in the bin and engage in a more stimulating activity, such as:

• Booking a holiday you definitely can’t afford to an exotic location
  • Plonking yourself on the steps of the Pav with a four-pack of Druids, whatever the weather
  • Escaping to the seaside and swimming to Wales (or further afield, depending on your competency as a swimmer)
  • Attempting to break the Guinness World Record for the amount of M&S cookies eaten in a single sitting
  • Crying

The majority of these activities aren’t reliant on WiFi, comfy seating or desk space, and are much more interesting than revising. Time well spent.