Trinity not accepting results of four A-Levels subjects in NI applications

The four subjects are Software Systems Development, Moving Image Arts, Digital Technology and Environmental Technology

Trinity is one of seven Irish universities not to accept the results of four A-Level subjects in applications to College made by secondary school students in Northern Ireland this year. The move will prevent some students from Northern Ireland from being accepted into Irish universities. However it is expected that this change will be reversed in 2018.

A-Levels in Software Systems Development, Moving Image Arts, Digital Technology and Environmental Technology will now be classed as “applied” A-Levels by the Irish Universities Association (IUA), the body representing the seven main Irish universities. As universities in the Republic of Ireland do not accept the results of applied A-Levels, these subjects will not be acknowledged for entry in the academic year 2017/18.

Ireland’s six other universities will not acknowledge the results of the four A-Levels: University College Cork, National University of Ireland Galway, National University of Ireland Maynooth, University College Dublin, University of Limerick and Dublin City University.

In a statement to the BBC, the IUA said: “Applied A-Levels have not been accepted for matriculation purposes by universities in the Republic of Ireland. This is clearly stated in each university’s prospectus and admissions information and continues to apply.”

According to the BBC, the Council for Curriculum, Examinations and Assessment (CCEA), who set the A-Levels, have asked IUA “for clarification on their admissions policy” and “requested they reconsider their position”.

Responding to this statement, the IUA said: “The seven universities have agreed to review the following four CCEA A-Level subjects for matriculation purposes, with a view to implementing any findings in time for the 2018 admissions cycle.”

“Given the current stage of the 2017 admissions cycle, it is unfortunately not possible to make any changes to the information already published for this year.”