Trinity team win Jailbreak 2017

2nd Year students Liam Cronin and Mark Perham reached Location X in San Marino just before 5pm this evening

A Trinity team made up of two 2nd Year Business Studies and French students has won Jailbreak 2017. Liam Cronin and Mark Perham reached Location X just before 5pm this evening.

The mysterious location was revealed to be the Second Tower of San Marino’s Three Towers, located on the highest of Monte Titano’s summits. This came after the teams were given the final clue which read: “Two be or not to be, of towers there are trí, Your Jailbreak t-shirt you must wear, how you get there we don’t care, Go to the oifig, get your ticket in it, Find Katie ag an barr, you’ll be in it to win it!” “Katie” refers to Katie O’Houlihan, Co-Director of Jailbreak who was waiting for the winners in Location X.

The winning Team 32, also known as Team Fedora the Xplora, raised €2,720 before the race started in Collins Barracks at 9am yesterday morning. The event has raised a total of €51241 so far.

Speaking to Trinity News, Benn Ó Hógáin, one of the organisers and a previous winner of Jailbreak said: “On behalf of the Jailbreak 2017 organising committee, my sincere congratulations to Team 32 (Liam agus Mark) on being crowned this year’s Jailbreak champions. Liam agus Mark were this year’s top fundraisers also, so it is fitting that they have been first to reach Location X in San Marino. An Cumann Gaelach’s support of SVP and Amnesty International added a new twist to the race this year, and Team 32 really embraced the bilingual nature of the event. Reaching our €50,000 target hours before the end of the race is the icing on the cake, and we are extremely grateful to all who have donated. There is still time to donate to our wonderful charities, and help us raise even more.”

In teams of two, the students had 36 hours to travel to the mystery location somewhere in the world without spending any of their own money. Throughout the competition, the students were given a series of clues which guide them toward a particular location.

Over 166 students took part in what is Ireland’s largest student-run charity challenge, which originated in Trinity. All funds raised are split equally between Amnesty International Ireland and the Society of St. Vincent de Paul (SVP). Jailbreak has now expanded to 10 third level institutions across Ireland. Over the past five years, it has raised €165,000 for the two charities. Participants had to raise €400 for the charities to qualify for a place on the starting grid, and are unable to use any of their own money. This year, the Cumann Gaelach society in Trinity joined the organising committee.

Colm O’Gorman, Executive Director of Amnesty Interntaional Ireland said before the event: “Now in its fifth year, we are delighted that Jailbreak continues to attract such fantastic support from Irish students.  The money raised by the students and their supporters will play a crucial role in our campaign to protect the human rights of refugees and migrants.”

This year’s participating colleges are: Trinity College Dublin, University College Dublin, Dublin City University, Dublin Institute of Technology, National University of Ireland Galway, University College Cork, Cork Institute of Technology, Mary Immaculate College.

Niamh Lynch

Niamh was Editor of the 65th volume of Trinity News. She is a History and Politics graduate.