UCD to support Irish reunification after referendum passes

63.1% of UCD students voted in favour of reunification

63.1% of students have voted to support University College Dublin Students’ Union (UCDSU) adopting a mandate in favour of Irish reunification. 3,325 students were polled on March 7 and 8, with 1,995 voting to support the pro-unity stance.

Agricultural students showed the highest percentage of support, with 77.8% voting “Yes” against 22.2% voting “No.” 374 Agricultural students in total were polled with all 347 votes returning unspoiled.

.

The rating among Health Science students was slightly lower, but was taken from a larger number of students. 405 out of 430 votes were returned unspoiled, with 72.1% “Yes” against 27.9% “No”.

.

At 860, Arts students were the largest course to be polled. 60.9% voted in favour of the motion while 39.1% voted against.

.

Science students were almost evenly split, with 54.02% (309) voting “Yes” and 45.98% (263) voted “No.”

.

The Sutherland School of Law delivered the closest result. Of 261 students polled, 52.4% voted “Yes” (132) while 47.6% voted “No” (120).

.

UCD is the third Irish university this week to hold a referendum on Irish reunification. Students National University of Ireland Galway (NUIG) and University College Cork (UCC) both voted in favour of supporting reunification. The “Yes” vote won 74% in NUIG and 63% in UCC.

.

Trinity College will hold a preferendum next week on whether the Students Union should support re-unification, with students being asked to vote in support, against or remain neutral on the issue. Campaigning began today and will continue tomorrow and Monday 13 March.