School of Nursing and Midwifery receives €300,000 for mental health project

Trinity will lead the project, in collaboration with several other universities

The Trinity School of Nursing and Midwifery has recently received €300,000 in funding for an Erasmus+ mental health project called STRENCO. The project aims to promote a collaborative approach towards mental health, primarily emphasising collaboration between students, academics, practitioners and service users.

The project will be led by Dr Mark Monahan at the School of Nursing and Midwifery. The project’s approach is in keeping with the European Union (EU) Modernisation Agenda, which prioritises cooperation in the field of mental health. It will also focus on developing learning methods and materials in order to improve the  experience of students, practitioners and the general public. This includes eLearning materials in higher education, for example.  

An international approach is also at the heart of the project. One of the project’s aims is to improve the practice of mental health on an international level by pooling the experiences and skill sets of a wide range of individuals. It is hoped that the general public will benefit from a range of accessible materials developed as part of the project.

The project will run over the course of three years. It has been developed under the KA203 Cooperation for Innovation and the Exchange of Good Practices – Strategic Partnerships for higher education through the Higher Education Authority (HEA).

Trinity will lead the project in collaboration with several other universities, including Tampere University of Applied Sciences, Finland, Jyväskylä University of Applied Sciences, Finland, Vives University, Belgium, the Technological Educational Institute of Athens, Greece and the University of Salford, United Kingdom.

Aside from Dr Monahan, the Trinity team will be comprised of Prof Agnes Higgins, Dr Jean Morrissey, Dr Michael Brennan and Dr Colman Noctor.

Trinity’s School of Nursing and Midwifery was ranked first in the Ireland by the QS World Rankings this year, and is ranked 36th in the world.