Motion passed at SU Council to create Commercial Revenue Steering Group

The motion follows recent discussion of TCDSU budget deficit and limited government funding for higher education

A motion was passed at this evening’s Trinity College Dublin Students’ Union (TCDSU) Council,  mandating the creation of a Commercial Revenue Steering Group. The motion, which was carried over from the previous Council, was proposed by current Communications and Marketing Officer Úna Harty and seconded by President Kevin Keane.

The motion mandates that the Communications and Marketing Officer chair a Commercial Revenue Steering Group, which is to include the President and any other necessary Union members. It also mandates the Communications and Marketing Officer to investigate the possibility of developing a Commercial Revenue Strategy document.

The motion follows much recent discussion regarding TCDSU’s budget deficit and limited government funding for higher education. It was noted at the previous Council that commercial activity is essential to the operation of the SU.

The Commercial Revenue Unit of Trinity College was founded in 2014 in order to foster new and existing possibilities for commercial revenue. The Unit achieved a combined turnover of €40 million in 2016 which went directly to funding academic needs on campus. They have recently faced backlash over their five year license agreement with Aramark which was signed in 2016, with a student campaign organised to protest this agreement.