Eimear Garvey wins TCDSU Class Rep of the Year

Garvey received over 15% of the total nominations

Eimear Garvey, a Junior Fresh Pharmacy student, has won the Trinity College Dublin Students’ Union (TCDSU) Class Rep of the Year award. Garvey received over 15% of the 384 total nominations.

Speaking to Trinity News, Garvey said that she was “absolutely shocked” to have won, and “delighted and honoured I’d even be considered for Class Rep of the Year”. Garvey continued: “I had nominated Cathal Hannafin, the other class rep in my year for it and it was completely off my radar until I got a text from Alice saying I won. It was a massive surprise!”

“It was really all down to everyone is my class in Pharmacy. We’re such a little family, as cliche as it sounds,” Garvey said.  

Speaking to Trinity News, TCDSU Education Officer, Alice MacPherson, said: “After an extensive review of the nominations, TCDSU was delighted to award Eimear Garvey with the honour and the accompanying Trinity Ball ticket.” “She received a massive 60 nominations,” she said. Garvey’s nominations described her “dedication”, “caring nature” and “hard work”. 

MacPherson continued: “Class Reps are the most important officers of the Students’ Union. They take care of their classes’ welfare, solve academic issues and create community by organising social events and apparel like hoodies and t-shirts. Class Reps also perform a vital role in communicating the needs of their classes to the Part Time Officers and Sabbatical Officers and representing their constituents at council.”

MacPherson noted the role of Class Reps in the Union, particularly prior to the referendums held earlier this year. Students voted on the introduction of supplemental fees in a preferendum, as well as the referendum to support the Boycott, Sanction and Divest (BDS) of Israel movement, and on whether there should be an opt-out option for the Union’s members.

“Class Reps played a huge part in passing on information regarding the issue of supplemental fees and modular billing, our referendums and changes due to the Trinity Education Project. I’d like to thank all of our reps for the huge amount of work they have put in and encourage them to consider running again, as well as encourage anyone who is interested to give it a go in 2018/19,” MacPherson concluded.

Seana Davis is a fourth year Geology student and News Editor of Trinity News.