Prince Harry and Meghan Markle to visit Trinity

The visit is set to take place during the newlyweds’ two-day stay in Dublin in July

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle will visit Trinity as part of an official two-day visit to Dublin on July 10 and 11.

The pair will learn about Ireland’s culture and heritage on a visit to the Book of Kells. They will also visit the Famine Memorial and the Irish Emigration Museum on their trip to Dublin.

The couple’s visit to the capital was confirmed in a statement from the official Twitter account of Kensington Palace, which read: “The Duke and Duchess of Sussex will visit Dublin, Ireland on 10th & 11th July. The visit is at the request of Her Majesty’s Government.”

The statement went on to say that the pair “are looking forward to learning more about Ireland’s history and experiencing its rich culture, as well as meeting the people who are shaping the country’s future.”

The visit will mark the newlyweds’ first official engagement since their wedding on May 19.

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex will also have offficial meetings with President Michael D. Higgins and Taoiseach Leo Varadkar.

The announcement comes weeks after Prince Charles’ visit to Cork and Kerry with his wife Camilla and seven years since Queen Elizabeth II became the first reigning British monarch to visit Trinity since the foundation of the state.

The trip will be Prince Harry’s first to Ireland, with Meghan having visited in 2013 when she received the Bram Stoker Medal from the University Philosophical Society (the Phil) in Trinity.

Michael Gilna

Michael Gilna is a former Investigations Editor of Trinity News.