Back to school: a summer series

A guideline to the musical mash up descending on Trinity this summer

The cricket pitch will be taken over once more as the Trinity Summer Series returns. With five nights of varied musical events taking place right at the heart of Trinity, every taste is catered for, with genres ranging from classical operatic singing to the coolest fringes of indie. Each night offers music from well-known names, as well as some important support acts that are well worth getting down early for.

On July 23, the series will be kicked off in style by the legendary Grace Jones, whose music has moved through the genres of disco, new wave and funk. Jones has an illustrious and multi-faceted career, having collaborated most recently with Gorrillaz on their latest album. Jones is renowned for her unparalleled stage presence and energetic band, with an electrifying performance guaranteed, this show is definitely not to be missed. Support is provided by Irish, all-girl, indie powerhouse Wyvern Lingo. Fresh from the release of their debut album, Wyvern Lingo’s live set is punchy, clean and engaging, fusing elements of R&B and pop to create their signature sound.

Tuesday’s music comes from the founders of the “popera” genre Il Divo. Having sold 28 million albums worldwide, Il Divo is now a household name. This multi-national, multi-lingual group promise a culturally varied set, offering music from a variety of backgrounds and countries. This concert guarantees pristine vocals and soaring harmonies, as well as bragging rights to all of your operatic and musical theatre friends.

Wednesday’s headliner is Rag n’ Bone man aka Rory Charles Graham, the pop-meets-R&B- meets-singer-songwriter chart-topper hailing from Sussex. His breakthrough single “Human” was popular on the airwaves following its release in 2016, and subsequent releases “Grace” and “Skin” have enjoyed similar success. Graham’s sound comprises throbbing basslines, throaty vocals and lyrics delivered with a distinct conviction that makes for an enthralling live performance. Grace Carter is the support for this concert, fresh from the monumental Spotify success of her single “Silence”.

Thursday’s lineup is packed full of Irish music goodness, with soulful tunes provided by Dublin songsmith, Gavin James. James’ heart-wrenching lyrics and emotive vocals have won him international success, with his breakthrough single “Nervous” having been the go-to for all Irish music stations for months after its release (and no one was complaining). James’ set moves between haunting acoustic numbers and livelier songs accompanied by a full band, making for an exciting performance. Support comes from Donegal-based Little Hours, who are similar to James’ in genre. Their mellow, melancholic sound is dynamic and engaging, with melodies that are instantly attention-catching.

The Summer Series will be concluded with a performance by vintage-pop, showband songstress Imelda May. May’s distinct look and sound have become instantly recognisable across Ireland as her success has grown over the last decade. Her album “Mayhem” boasts a myriad of catchy, upbeat tracks, providing a contrast to her more recent mellow, lyrical performances, hinging more on intensity and lyricism. Aspects from both sections of May’s genre will make for an exciting live set (dancing shoes are mandatory!). Support comes from Irish pop band Keywest, whose lively pop melodies and youthful energy promise an exciting live set.

There really is something for everyone, even those of you who miss the 24 hour library and just want an excuse to be close to it again.