UCD and RCSI launch campus in Malaysia

The venture is Malaysia’s first accredited private medical school

University College Dublin (UCD) and Royal College of Surgeons Ireland (RCSI) have launched a new medical university in Malaysia. The newly established RCSI + UCD Malaysia Campus (RUMC) is Malaysia’s first accredited private medical school.

Formerly known as Penang Medical College, RUMC’s upgrade to an International University Branch Campus was authorised by the Malaysian government last March. Speaking at the launch on Wednesday, Minister for Education and Skills Richard Bruton said: “Ireland is keen to tap the research grants available in the European Union and share them with educational and research partners here in Malaysia.”

Along with Bruton, the opening celebration on Wednesday was attended by Deputy Director General of Higher Education at the Ministry of Education Malaysia, Dr Mohd Nor Azman Bin Hassan, and the Irish ambassador to Malaysia, His Excellency Eamon Hickey. On hand to represent RCSI and UCD were RCSI President, Kenneth Mealy, and Deputy UCD President, Professor Mark Rogers.

The event was hosted by RUMC President & CEO, Professor Stephen Doughty, together with Vice President & Registrar Professor David Whitford, and Dean Professor Premnath Nagalingam.

RUMC aims to provide an internationally recognised Irish medical degree in conjunction with medical programmes at foundation, bachelors, masters, and doctoral levels. Degrees will be awarded by the National University of Ireland.

Eamon Hickey spoke yesterday of Ireland wanting to “expand its ties with Malaysia in many areas, from stem cell research to information technology”.

Professor Doughty expressed his enthusiasm at being able to “establish a new pathway for Family Medicine training for doctors in Malaysia”.

RUMC is the only branch university of Irish tertiary institution in Malaysia, and one of only ten international branch universities in the country. By hosting the prestigious Cochrane Malaysia network – which focuses on dissemination of evidence-based medicine – RUMC will ensure that Malaysia remains at the forefront of medicine development.

Sarah Moran

Sarah Moran is the current Head Copyeditor of Trinity News. She is also a Senior Sophister English Literature student.