Analysis: What are the capitated bodies?

The various acronyms for the capitated bodies in Trinity can be confusing and make it difficult to interpret what news about their budgets means and why it is significant. It is useful to understand what their roles are to understand where your money goes, and why the recorded deficits affect you.

In Trinity, there are five capitated bodies, including Trinity College Dublin Students’ Union (TCDSU), the Graduate Students’ Union (GSU), Dublin University Central Athletics Club (DUCAC), the Central Societies Committee (CSC) and Trinity Publications. These bodies meet two to three times a year and their funding comes from the student contribution. All capitated bodies must have information available via their social media or websites.

TCDSU is mandated to act on various issues voted on by students and receives funding to do so. In general, TCDSU advocates on behalf of students and provides services such as accommodation advice, welfare advice, and provides for the needs of minority groups. The organisation is composed of full time and part time officers. TCDSU also has an Ents committee which runs large events, the most notable of which being Trinity Ball.

The GSU offers similar services to the undergraduate students’ union, however advocates on the behalf of postgraduate students. The GSU is a much smaller organisation than the TCDSU, and has only two full time sabbatical officers.

The CSC is the governing body of societies on campus and is responsible for all recognised societies in Trinity. The CSC offers an application process for establishing new societies and incorporates students into its organisation with an Executive committee. The Executive committee carries out the CSC’s duties and the CSC delegates its powers to the Executive.  

Trinity Publications manages the recognised publications in Trinity, including Trinity News, tn2, Journal of Literary Transaltion (JOLT), Icarus and the Piranha. Trinity Publications offers funding to students for publications each year, to run social events and hosts alumni events. It is run by an executive committee composed of students.

DUCAC oversees Trinity’s sports clubs and receives revenue from the Pav in combination with the student contribution. DUCAC receives the most amount of funding of the capitated bodies, followed by TCDSU and the CSC.

Alice Whelan

Alice Whelan is a former Comment Editor and Deputy Comment Editor of Trinity News. She is a Sociology and Political Science graduate.