Sports scholarships awarded at Dining Hall ceremony

Athletes from Trinity clubs were recognised at event in the Dining Hall

Trinity Sport awarded its annual sports scholarships at a ceremony in the Dining Hall on Thursday night. The programme, now in its 26th year, recognises the achievements of athletes across a wide range of sports. 64 students were awarded scholarships at the event, while special guests Kevin Kilbane and Ed Joyce took part in a Q&A session with newly-elected Dublin University Central Athletic Club (DUCAC) Secretary Jemil Saidi.

The scholarship initiative aims to facilitate athletes trying to achieve a balance between their academic and sporting lives. According to the Trinity Sport website: “The benefits on offer to scholars [include] specialised strength and conditioning training, a dedicated medical care pathway, and financial support.” Head of Trinity Sport Michelle Tanner echoed these sentiments in her address to the students: “When we look at sport and we admire the achievements of student athletes, we think they make it look easy; I know it’s not that easy.”

“We know that university is the perfect time to develop your skills. We know that this is a education and a learning process. After all, sport is an education that prepares you for life after college.”

37 students were awarded Sports scholarships, with two athletes, rugby player Colm Hogan and handballer Ciara Mahon, presented with the Trevor West Award. As Deputy Head of Trinity Sport Matthew Dossett explained, the award acknowledges students who “go above and beyond” to develop and improve their clubs.

There were also 27 Club Academy scholarships handed out on the night, with 23 of those going to members of Dublin University Football Club (DUFC). First-year Medicine student and Ireland U-19 Basketball player Rachel Huijsdens expressed her delight at receiving the award: “I think it’s great, especially since last year, I was trying to keep up the sport as well as preparing for the Leaving Cert. It just acknowledges all the hard work I put into [basketball]. Also, it’s definitely a help that there’s someone you can go to if you’re finding it hard to balance college life, because it is a huge jump. It’s very self-directed and it takes a while to adjust. It’s nice to know that there’s somewhere to fall back on and help you if you need it.”

The event also saw the announcement of former Ireland cricketer Ed Joyce as the fourth Trinity Sport Ambassador. Part of Trinity Sport’s Raising Our Game initiative which finished last year, the role will see Joyce act as both a representative and consultant for the college sporting body. During a Q&A session with DUCAC Secretary Saidi, Joyce said: “Here at Trinity, it is easy to balance sport and academics with the college behind you.”

Cameron Hill

Cameron Hill was the Sports Editor of Trinity News for Michaelmas 2018. He is a Senior Fresh English Literature and French student.