Kane and McCarthy receive minor strikes, with Kane alleging “malicious” intent

McCarthy received an online ban from 8pm to 10pm tonight

Sole Communications and Marketing Officer candidate Muireann Kane, and Education Officer candidate, Sally Anne McCarthy have both received minor strikes from the Trinity College Dublin Students’ Union (TCDSU) Electoral Commission today.

As a result, McCarthy received an online ban from 8pm to 10pm tonight.

Speaking to Trinity News, Kane said: “Someone stuck my flyers up on the back of the door in one of the men’s toilets today. Only one member of my campaign team would use the men’s toilets and he was either with me or in labs, so it wasn’t anyone on my team and seems to have been rather malicious. [I] will try my best to ensure nothing like this happens again, as I recognize [sic] the importance of the rules in place.”

McCarthy said “we received a minor strike because of a lovely poem that was written on Trinder. It’s annoying to get a strike over something we can’t control, but we understand that EC have to be strict in their enforcement of the rules”.

Kane has had a difficult start to the campaign, with shaky performances at hustings, and a campaign to re-open nominations in the race launched last night.

Candidates in this year’s race have faced two hustings so far, the Dining Hall Hustings and Council Hustings. Candidates will next be questioned at the Media Hustings this evening. Voting will start on Monday evening in Halls, with results announced next Thursday night.

The Electoral Commission is the body that oversees and regulates SU elections.

Niamh Lynch

Niamh was Editor of the 65th volume of Trinity News. She is a History and Politics graduate.