Four students contest President race among 51 JCR candidates

Seven candidates contest Communications race

Elections for the Junior Common Room (JCR) see 51 students contest 11 positions this week, with four first year students running for JCR President. The successful candidates will run the JCR for the next academic year, overseeing college life in Trinity Hall for incoming Junior Fresh students. The election campaign was launched yesterday, and is set to end on Wednesday following voting.

The President race has attracted four candidates, compared to last year’s three. Conor McNally, Eoin Jackson, Matt Fitzsimons, and Zara Finn are running for the role. The position, which is currently held by second year BESS student Ben Cummins, was successfully contested by current Trinity College Dublin Students’ Union (TCDSU) President Shane De Rís.

The position of Treasurer, or Vice President of the JCR, is being contested by four candidates; Alice Payne, Sean Gordon Dalton, Brian Hastings, and Seán Dunne. Candidates in this race have suggested the enlargement of the Halls Musical, office hours for the position, increased fundraising, and assisting students in finding jobs among their campaign promises.

There are seven candidates running for the position of Welfare Officer. These are Aoife Ralph, Josephine Douglas, Kate Sheehan, Lucy Deegan, Amy Heatley, Joe Kelly and Ellen McHugh. The successful candidate will select a welfare team consisting of second year students who will work with Trinity Hall residents. Previous Welfare team members include TCDSU President-elect Laura Beston.

The position of Communications Officer sees seven contenders this year, with Abby Durham, Darragh Clark, Ellecia Vaughan, Seamus Conlon, Conal Scullion, and Conor Kelly all entering the race. The position is currently held by Cian Fogarty.  

Ciana Luskin, Anthony Gleeson, and Colin Hart are running for the position of Ents Officer. The candidates have suggested events such as a Halls Jailbreak, weekend activities, a mystery tour, and various RAG Week events.

The positions of Publications Officer, International Officer, and Secretary all see four candidates contesting their respective races. International Officer is contested by Andrea Cabero Del Hierro, Nico Brenna, Konstantinos Lekkas, and Nirvikalp Puri. Publications Officer sees Ellecia Vaughan, who is also running for Communications, contest the position against Sophie Treacy, Usice Newton, and Milena Barnes. The race for Secretary sees Emmett Harrison, James Osborne, Sarah Bourke, and Julia Best contest the position.

The positions of Music Officer, Sports Officer, and Tech Officer have also seen three, five and six candidates enter the races respectively. Students will hear from Tadhg Williams, Jenny Dolan, and Mel Swords as they compete for the position. Arianna Bettin, Katie Martin, Claire Molloy, Jack Murphy, and Trinity Geddis will compete for the position of Sports Officer, while James Connon, Helen Elliott, Cian Harley, Dominique Meudec, Mikey Sweeney, Jose Moldonado are the candidates running for Technology Officer.

Trinity Hall will see its candidates’ manifestos tested at tonight’s JCR hustings. Voting will take place on Wednesday, with the successful candidates announced on Wednesday night.

Peter Kelly

Peter Kelly is the current Assistant Editor of Trinity News. He is a Junior Sophister Law student, and a former Deputy News Editor.