Grafton Street McDonald’s re-opens after €1.5m refurbishments

The fast food outlet now contains self-service ordering terminals and table service

McDonald’s on Grafton Street has reopened today after a €1.5m refurbishment which saw the popular branch of the fast-food chain close for more than a month.

The move means that the restaurant now offers self service ordering terminals and table service, resulting in the employment of 30 additional staff, increasing its total to 120. The venue, popular with Trinity students, will also host an additional 20 customers, as seating space rises to 305.

The establishment closed over a month ago in order to begin the refurbishment. The chain has note that the investment is in order to reach out to its younger customer base. It also resulted in the removal of the McCafé within the store. This also follows the modernisation of the franchise with the McDelivery service being launched last year.

The franchise business was first opened on Grafton Street in 1977 and is currently operated by Amir Asfar, who owns 11 McDonald’s franchises. Accounts for the business show that Asfar made a before-tax profit of €1.16 million in the 2017 year.

Grafton Street is one of 92 McDonald’s restaurants currently operating in Ireland. The 92 stores are ran by 22 franchises, and employ over 5,000 staff.

The outlet was bought as part of a large Irish Life investment, alongside seven other retail investments, and five office blocks in 2015. The transaction is believed to have cost €154 million. The franchise had also been paying a rent of €1.15 million until it was reduced to rent of €600,000 in 2011.

This is a move that will be welcomed by Trinity students who have expressed dismay in recent months at the closure of various popular food outlets, including Lemon and Mooch, who have all closed their doors.

Peter Kelly

Peter Kelly is the current Assistant Editor of Trinity News. He is a Junior Sophister Law student, and a former Deputy News Editor.