New shuttle bus to bring students from Halls to Luas

The shuttle will operate in the evenings on a four week trial

College is launching a free shuttle bus service to bring Trinity Hall residents to and from the nearest Luas stop.

The bus, which is launching on Thursday for a four-week trial period, will carry students between Trinity Hall Reception and the Milltown Luas stop.

The walk from Halls, which is on Dartry Road, to the Luas stop takes approximately ten minutes.

Shuttles are expected to run every 15 minutes in the evenings from 9pm, with the last bus departing from Trinity Hall at 10.45pm.

During the trial period, the bus is to be available on select days only, including March 14, 19 – 21, 25 – 28, and April 1 – 5, and 9 – 11. The bus is not currently operating on the weekend.

In an email to Halls residents announcing the service, Trinity Hall Warden Dr Roja Fazaeli said: “We hope that that this will become [a] welcome Hall transport addition.”

Fazaeli asked students to “please note that Trinity Hall rules apply to the use of the shuttle”, making particular reference to treating the driver and other passengers with respect, keeping noise to a minimum, and to not bring alcohol, drinks, or food on the shuttle.

Speaking to Trinity News, Junior Common Room (JCR) Welfare Officer Rebecca Sweeney said she feels the shuttle bus trial is a “really great” move for ensuring the safety of Halls residents.

“The plan is to have it run from 9pm to 11pm on certain nights as a trial,” Sweeney explained. “It’s going to be really great for the safety of Halls residents because the walk from Halls to the Luas is a pretty long one which isn’t completely safe, especially late at night when people are coming home from college or heading for nights out.”

“It’ll be great for making sure people get home and out safely,” she continued.

The trial period is expected to end shortly before the commencement of exams.