Student activism is more beneficial than any book

The rewarding aspects of being involved in activism as a student make it a better learning experience than many courses

A worrying aspect of College life is how little you can get away with doing. It’s possible, and arguably easier in some circles, to have no involvement in university life beyond course requirements. Getting a degree, distilled to a minimalist form, involves putting in the necessary hours to get a decent degree class. Bare minimum participation in student life does not make you less likely to graduate or achieve the desired 1.1 or 2.1. But what does this formulaic approach to university life really teach you? Life is much more than textbooks, which only offer a second-hand learning approach in some cases. Doesn’t shaping the world around you involve directly interacting with it and not just reading?

As we approach the upcoming TCDSU elections, activism in student affairs has come under increased scrutiny than usual on our cynical campus. The majority of our ten candidates are and have been heavily involved in the running of the SU. They’re already interwoven threads in the fabric of a Union most students are indifferent to or disenfranchised from, as evident in the poor voter turnout and general lack of engagement that has been consistent over the last few years. The general perspective is that these students are “other” or “different” in an important way to the average student.

This deviation from the expectations of the average student could optimistically be attributed to them having a higher level of concern for student affairs that most can’t sympathise or empathise with. Cynically, this deviation or “call to arms” can be perceived as part of a personal vendetta for power, an opportunity to be paid to do what they are already doing while living on campus for free, or as a means to bolster their CVs. Whatever your take on the matter, it’s undeniable that our 2019 candidates think they are primed for their roles because of what they have learned so far through their experiences in activism.

“What they learn in a classroom pales in comparison to what they learn outside of it.”

None of our election candidates cite their academic experience as the learning curve that shaped them to be suitable for the position they hope to attain. Their extracurricular involvement is where their learning has taken place, and why they believe they are qualified for the role in question. This is true of anyone I know plugged into something outside of their course work. SU involvement, volunteering, journalism, or running a club or society have been the true teachers of their university experience. What they learn in a classroom pales in comparison to what they learn outside of it.

For many the word “activism” carries unwanted connotations. The idea of an “activist” can send shivers down our spines. Images of someone yelling into a megaphone, passionate crowds marching, and the distinct feeling of guilt for not doing enough make unwelcome appearances in our minds. Activism is “the policy or action of using vigorous campaigning to bring about political or social change” according to our dear friend Google. “Vigorous” should not be mistaken for “aggressive”, however. Campaigning gone wrong rarely descends into aggression, but the mishaps or flawed forms of activism should not fully shape our view of activism and its potential.

Activism is a prominent platform for students to make a difference and achieve the social or political change they want to see in their lives. Students in Ireland and Europe are known for their energy, passionate ideals, and relative lack of capital. This makes students the ideal candidates for shifting the status-quo via activist channels.

Throughout my time in university, particularly over the past 12 months, the power of student activism has become apparent. National activist movements have benefitted from the endorsement and efforts of students within TCDSU. #TakeBackTrinity involved great vigour from members of our college community to reverse the proposed policy of charging fees for supplemental exams.

“Learning how to liaise, work as a group, and overcome unexpected challenges are valuable skills activists attain by persevering and continuing to show up.”

Activism is about social change, not just political change. Those less party politically inclined can be activists in whatever group they resonate with, and improve or cultivate a healthier culture with them. Learning how to liaise, work as a group, and overcome unexpected challenges are valuable skills activists attain by persevering and continuing to show up. Whether it be at society events, marches, volunteer programmes, or training sessions: these are the grounds for activists and the making of practical learning.

For all its benefits, should student activism be required at an institutional level by College? My answer is no. College enforcing activism would likely backfire. If activism became a module or course requirement, there would indeed be an increased number of student activists, but I fear the passion which drives these movements would be diluted. Some will remain excited and put in energetic effort, but these people will largely be those who would’ve been activists anyway. The rest may drag down the movement with their less than eager, apathetic, or resentful attitudes.

Despite my own belief that student involvement outside the classroom is the most valuable learning experience university offers, I believe that enforcement of activism via assessment or credit allocation would be detrimental. Students in our college like choice; the freedom to spend their time as they chose. Another worrying aspect of Trinity itself coercing students to partake in activist movements is that College could also have the power to decide which campaigns students can partake in.

“Surely being fortunate enough to spend some time studying at Ireland’s oldest and highest ranked university calls for more than just attending class?”

Third level institutions are supposed to be centres of learning, and not merely centres for producing degrees. Surely being fortunate enough to spend some time studying at Ireland’s oldest and highest ranked university calls for more than just attending class? The minimal approach outside of the classroom leaves minimum room for practical learning. The personal benefit of involvement may not always outweigh the costs, but the reward from what you learn will stand to you. Our campus could become a more vibrant place, if it is further fuelled by students who see a bigger picture and are willing to put themselves on the line for it. Students can and do change the world, and as such, the value of extra-curricular activities should not be forgotten.