This week in Trinity: judges, knitwork and the Battle of the Bands final

Week ten in Trinity promises to provide students with plenty to see and do

As the year starts to draw to a close, week ten in Trinity is still packed full of unique events, showing that Trinity’s societies are still able to put on a show.

MONDAY

On Monday, Trinity’s Society for International Affairs will host a talk from Gerard Hogan, a former Court of Appeal judge and the current Advocate General of the European Court of Justice, at 5pm. As one of Ireland’s leading constitutional experts, he will be discussing the issues surrounding Brexit and what its implications will be for Ireland. Later, at 6pm, Hogan will be launching the 22nd volume of the Trinity College Law Review in the Long Room of the Old Library. Also at 6pm, Trinity Global Development Society are hosting a presentation from Philippe Breul on digital finance in Africa.

TUESDAY

Tuesday kicks off with The Hist’s Derby of Rhetoric at 2pm in the Hist Conversation Room, where speakers will get the opportunity to talk about any topic under the sun for 7 minutes. Later, Trinity Knitting Society and Trinity Arabesque Society are holding a Palestinian crafts night at 5pm in the Eliz Room. They’ll be exploring Palestine’s crafts in an effort to celebrate them and the Palestinian movement to preserve them.

Afterwards, at 7pm, Trinity Politics Society are holding a Mock Dail, where they’ll be discussing Brexit as well as a number of other topical issues. Speakers from Trinity Young Fine Gael, Ógra Fianna Fáil, Labour Youth and Young Greens will be representing their parties. At 7.30pm DU Comedy Society are hosting a comedy gig in Chaplin’s bar that will feature some first time performers.

WEDNESDAY

On Wednesday evening, Qsoc will be showing The Favorite, starring Rachel Weisz and Emma Stone, in room 2041b of the Arts Block at 6pm. At the same time, Trinity Environmental Society and DU Zoological Society are holding a Natural Science Career’s fair in the Global Room. It will provide an opportunity for students to learn about some of the potential fields they can enter after graduation and will feature speakers in different stages in their career. At 7pm in the Swift Theatre, DU Classical Society will have Dr Bridget Martin in to speak on treatment of the deceased in Greek tragedy.

The Hist will be holding their weekly debate on the motion “This House Would Welcome a United States of Europe” at 7.30pm in the GMB. Speakers will discuss the challenges facing the EU with the current Brexit turmoil and whether it would be better for the future of Europe if the remaining countries grew closer or retained their autonomy. To round off the evening, Trinity’s Battle of the Bands Final will take place in Whelan’s at 8pm, hosted by Trinity ENTS, DU Music and DU Alternative Music Society. The finalists will compete for a spot playing at Trinity Ball.

THURSDAY

On Thursday at 2pm, Trinity Literary Society will be having a conversation in the Attic of House Six on the representation of female characters in fantasy. They’ll be discussing the issues with the depiction of women in the genre and what needs to be done to address it. Later in the evening, Qsoc are also hosting their ‘Whine and Cheese’ at 6.30pm in the GSU Common Room, where you’ll get to enjoy some free food and drink while discussing your week’s woes.

Seamus Small

Seamus Small is the current Assistant Societies Editor of Trinity News. He is a Senior Fresh Law and Politics student.