Phil team win Irish Mace competition

The team was made up of Ryan Grunwell and Harry Morris

A team from the University Philosophical Society (the Phil) have won the Irish Mace competition, Ireland’s national British Parliamentary debating competition. The team, which consisted of newly elected Phil President, Ryan Grunwell, and former Phil Schools Convenor, Harry Morris, were the closing opposition on the motion: “This House Believes that Ireland should pay reparations to former British colonies for the role of Irish individuals in the British Empire, regardless of if the British state chooses to do so.”

Grunwell, a Junior Sophister Economics and Philosophy student and Morris, a Senior Sophister Economics student, beat a second Phil team, consisting of Nicole O’Sullivan and Mark Finn, as well as Caitríona Ní Bhriain and Jack Kennedy, who were representing the College Historical Society (the Hist).

Speaking to Trinity News, Grunwell said: “The Irish Mace is a lot of work throughout the year, and it felt fantastic to win on the day – especially considering the final itself was a debate of exceptionally high quality.”

The final of the Irish Mace took place last week in the GMB.

The Irish Mace follows recent success by Trinity teams in the Irish Times Debating Competition, where a Hist team made up of Daniel Gilligan and Ronan Daly won the competition, while Harry Higgins and Rory O’Sullivan from the Phil were awarded second place.

In the 2018 Irish Mace competition, a Hist team consisting of Rory O’Sullivan and Daniel Gilligan won the final.

Niamh Lynch

Niamh was Editor of the 65th volume of Trinity News. She is a History and Politics graduate.