This week in Trinity: Greek tragedies, quizzes and a picnic

Societies at Trinity make sure the final week of Hilary term ends on a bang

It’s the final week of term and as the slow realisation creeps over the student body that it might not actually be possible to study an entire semester’s worth of material in one week, take solace in the fact that Trinity’s societies will still be able to distract you one last time.

MONDAY

At 7pm, SOFIA are holding a talk from Reece Smyth in the Robert Emmet Theatre. Smyth is the current U.S. Ambassador to Ireland and he will be discussing the future of Irish-American relations following Britain’s exit from the European Union. At the same time, DU Classical Society and DU Archaeological Society are holding their annual play in the GMB. This year’s production is Medea, a tragedy written by the ancient Greek playwright Euripides, which tells the story of a former princess who engages in a killing spree after she finds her place in high society threatened when her husband Jason leaves her.

Also on at 7pm is the play Song of Sixpence in the Players’ theatre. As always, it features an all-student cast and will be on every night from Monday through Thursday. Later, at 7.30pm, TCD Obstetrics and Gynaecology Society will host obstetrician Professor Fitzpatrick to outline why he believes medical students can learn from the renowned poet Sylvia Plath.

TUESDAY

DU Vegan Society are having a lunch trip at midday, where they’ll be meeting at Front Square before heading to Govinda’s on Abbey Street. Later, join DU QuizSoc at 7pm in J.W. Sweetman for their Are You Smarter Than a Junior Cert Student quiz. All rounds will be based on questions from past Junior Cert papers so you can get a taste of just how much you’ve forgotten over the past few years. If you’re not all quizzed out, DU Dance Society will be holding their spring showcase at 9.30pm in Player’s Theatre. Entry is only €3 and you’ll get to see some of the finest dance acts Trinity has to offer.

WEDNESDAY

Wednesday kicks off with Society Officer Handover Training with the Central Societies Committee (CSC), at 5pm in the Synge Theatre. The training aims to help new society committee members who are taking over the roles of chair, treasurer or secretary get to grips with their new roles, including how to book rooms on campus, organise a successful freshers’ week, and how to successfully manage your society’s accounts. Afterwards, join Trinity VDP at 6.30pm for their annual talent show. The show is free in and will take place in the Royal Irish Academy of Music, where you’re sure to see a litany of talented singers, dancers and musicians from VDP’s Trinity club which runs activities for vulnerable adults.

THURSDAY

Trinity Literary Society are holding a picnic this Thursday at 11am in the Rose Garden, for anyone who wants a much-needed break from the library. They’ll be serving some free drinks and snacks while you enjoy a few hours soaking up the sun. Then, at 7pm Qsoc, are having a Kiki in the SU Parlour if you need an evening off to chill after a hard week’s studying.

FRIDAY

The final event of the year is Trinity Ball, which will kick off at 9pm and continue until you can’t. Whether you’re ecstatic to finally be seeing the Corona’s live or you’re just looking forward to one last sesh with your mates before exams, it’s sure to be a brilliant night.

Seamus Small

Seamus Small is the current Assistant Societies Editor of Trinity News. He is a Senior Fresh Law and Politics student.