Queen of Sweden visits Trinity Science Gallery

The royal visitor took part in a mental health workshop

Her Majesty Queen Silvia of Sweden visited the Science Gallery at Trinity this afternoon as part of her and her husband, King Carl XVI Gustaf’s three day state visit to Ireland.

At the Science Gallery, Queen Silva took part in an “Open Mind” workshop, aimed at finding solutions to mental health problems faced by young people.

Queen Silvia’s daughter, and heir to the Swedish throne, crown Princess Victoria, has previously opened up about her own struggle with anxiety.

The mental health activity was one of a series of “co-creation” workshops organized by the Science Gallery. These workshops are part of an EU-funded project that aims to consult a wide variety of people in the process of policy making.

Co-creation is a collaborative methodology that involves various stakeholders in addressing a specific challenge. The process has been touted as a new way to design a product, service, or policy.

Other participants in the activity included students from local secondary schools as well as Dr Charlotte Wilson, Assistant Professor in Clinical Psychology at Trinity; Joe Geary, Trainee Counselling Psychologist at Trinity; and Catherine Healy, Senior Child and Adolescent Mental Health Occupational Therapist at the Health Service Executive.

During the event Ann Mulrooney, Director of the Science Gallery, stressed that “mental health is one of the most pressing challenges for young people today”.

She praised the Open Mind project for “driving participative, citizen-led policy” and added that she was “delighted to introduce the project to Queen Sylvia, and explore possible parallels in Sweden”.

Also present, as part of the Swedish delegation, was Mikaela Fredriksen Tollin, Acting Director General of The Swedish Institute, a public agency that works in the fields of culture, education, science and business to strengthen international relations and development.

The Trinity Science Gallery is currently running it’s “Sound Check” exhibition, exploring new musical tools, at The Swedish Museum of Performing Arts. The exhibition runs until August 18.

Queen Silvia and King Carl XVI Gustaf’s state visit began yesterday at Áras an Uachtaráin where they met President Michael D Higgins and his wife Sabina. The trip will also include a meeting with the Taoiseach at Government Buildings and visits to Athlone, Oranmore, and the Burren in County Clare.