Trinity applies for permission to build kiosks in the Arts Building

The plans are currently under consideration by Dublin City Council

Trinity has submitted a planning application to Dublin City Council to build “movable oak clad kiosks” on the second-level floor of the Arts Building.

The application states that the intended use for the kiosks is to “house multiple student and college related functions”, which are to include “clubs and societies information, charity events and sales, [and] study groups”.

The application made by College also suggests that the proposed two large and six small kiosks could be used for the selling of Trinity-branded merchandise during the summer months.

Dublin City Council’s website shows that the application was received on May 10 and that a decision has not yet been made regarding whether or not Trinity will be permitted to carry out the construction.

The estimated floor space to be taken up by the kiosks is 24m2.

Last November, Trinity’s bursar, Professor Veronica Campbell, announced a €230 million capital programme as part of the university’s first “estates strategy”. These plans involve substantial refurbishment of a number of College buildings including the Arts Building.

At the launch of the estates strategy, Professor Campbell said her plans “will allow the campus to continue to evolve and support the academic mission by improving the efficiency and quality of learning space and by introducing adaptive reuse of buildings to meet future requirements.”

She further outlined that the proposals “will upgrade heritage buildings, support growth areas and position the campus for the future.”

At the final meeting of the university Board in April, the Bursar gave a presentation on proposed changes to the Arts Building to be made as part of the refurbishment.

Following the meeting, Provost Patrick Prendergast tweeted pictures of diagrams of some of the proposed changes. The proposals included new signage, lighting and furniture layouts in the building.  

Finn Purdy

Finn Purdy is the current Deputy Editor of Trinity News. He is a Junior Sophister English Studies student, and a former News Editor and Assistant News Editor.