Trinity ranked 37th in Europe for teaching

Trinity rises in rankings from Times Higher Education

Trinity has been ranked in 37th place in the Times Higher Education Europe Teaching Rankings 2019. This represents a considerable rise for the college which was placed in the range of 51st – 75th for the same category last year.

The Dean of Undergraduate Education, Professor Kevin Mitchell, commented on the ranking saying: “We are delighted with today’s ranking which is a real testament to the quality of teaching, and learning environment we provide for our students in reaching their full potential.”

He added: “We want our students to develop continuously and support them in meeting the challenges of the future. This ranking would not be possible without the commitment of our staff in helping our students achieve this.”

Trinity is ranked 120th in the Times Higher Education world university rankings, and 28th in their newly introduced “University Impact Rankings”, which assess universities against the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals.

Trinity’s rise in the European teaching rankings will be a welcome change for the college which has consistently fallen in the ranking tables over the last decade. Trinity has fallen from the position of being ranked 76th in the world by the Times Higher Education in 2011. In the QS global rankings the college was ranked 108th, down from 104th in 2019 and 88th in 2018.

College authorities, along with other Irish universities, has blamed this downward trend on consistent underfunding by government.

Finn Purdy

Finn Purdy is the current Deputy Editor of Trinity News. He is a Junior Sophister English Studies student, and a former News Editor and Assistant News Editor.