Nominations open for Chancellorship of Trinity

Members of the University Senate have until October 30 to submit nominations for the role

Nominations for the next Chancellor of the University of Dublin (Trinity College), have officially opened as of today. The College Registrar, Professor Paula Murphy, sent out an email this morning to all members of the university senate, requesting nominations for the role.

Members of the university senate now have now have until November 30 to submit their nominations. In order to be considered for the role, a candidate must receive nominations from at least 12 members. If more than one person is successfully nominated, a meeting of the University Senate will be called within two months of the closing date of nominations to elect the next Chancellor. Membership of the University Senate is open to those who hold either Masters or Doctorate degrees from Trinity.

The Chancellor is the head of the University of Dublin, of which Trinity is the sole College. They preside over meetings of the University Senate, including ceremonial occasions, such as graduation ceremonies, as well as officiating honorary degree ceremonies. The Chancellor is also one of the two “Visitors” who hear appeals against decisions made by the College Board and interpret the College Statutes.

Dr. Mary Robinson retired as Chancellor of the university in June, having been first elected to the position in 1998. Robinson was the first woman elected to the role since the university was established in 1592. She was also the first female President of Ireland, and the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights. The Irish Times has reported that Mary McAleese, another former President of Ireland, is expected to be nominated to succeed Robinson.

During her time as Chancellor, Robinson has been outspoken on feminist and environmental issues. This year she chaired an all-women panel at a conference celebrating women in leadership organised by Trinity’s Law Soc, and opened Trinity’s “Green Week” with a speech to students encouraging them to “get angry and take action” regarding the global climate crisis.  Upon leaving the role of Chancellor, Robinson was appointed Adjunct Professor on Climate Justice in Trinity’s School of Natural Sciences.