Student accommodation in Rubrics to be completed by 2022

The renovation is to provide 12 student rooms on campus

Renovation work is due to be carried out on Rubrics, College’s oldest surviving building, to provide additional on-campus accommodation for students and staff. 

The estimated completion date for this work is the second quarter of 2022, which will end on June 30. If the work is completed on time, the rooms will be ready for students to move in at the beginning of the 2022/23 academic year.

The renovation of the red brick building which makes up houses 22 to 26 in Trinity’s Library Square is due to provide 12 student bedrooms and 18 staff studio apartments. It is also intended that the building will be used as a research space for fellows emeriti. Up until three years ago Rubrics contained around 18 student bedrooms, but for the past few years has housed only a small number of College staff and no students. 

Prior to renovation, student rooms in Rubrics were a considerably cheaper option compared to other on-campus accommodation. In 2016 when rooms in Front Square, New Square and Botany Bay were €6,588 for a years rent, rates for a room in Rubrics were at €4,940 for year.

Professor Veronica Campbell, the College Bursar told Trinity News that College is currently procuring an architect for the project and once the design for the renovation is complete, College will apply for planning permission and thereafter the works will commence. She stated that the exact timeline still needs to be finalised but the estimated completion is the second quarter of 2022. 

Professor Cambell added that due to Rubrics being College’s oldest surviving building, having been built sometime around 1700: “the renovation project will require a sensitive conservation approach”. 

Two rooms on the third floor of Rubrics are currently used by Trinity’s counselling service for a limited number of their appointments between students and counsellors.

College is in the process of trying to increase its student accommodation capacity, amid a national housing crisis that has left many students struggling to find a place to live during term. The Printing House Square development, a renovation of the Oisín House property on Pearse St. is due to see a further 250 beds added to Trinity’s accommodation capacity.  Additionally, construction on a 300-bed expansion of Trinity Hall is due to begin in July 2020 at the earliest, and is expected to be finished by 2023.

Space for the Trinity Hall construction will come from the demolition of Cunningham House. Following demolition and prior to the completion of the new expansion, an interval is expected where the number of beds in Halls will be notably lowered. Cunningham House currently provides 68 beds to students.

Finn Purdy

Finn Purdy is the current Deputy Editor of Trinity News. He is a Junior Sophister English Studies student, and a former News Editor and Assistant News Editor.