The Script announced for charity event in Trinity

Trinity will be hosting an event as part of the World’s Big Sleep Out charity fundraiser

The Script will be playing in Trinity in December as part of the international World’s Big Sleep Out charity fundraiser to raise money to fight global homelessness. 

With an aim of raising over $45,000,000 The World’s Big Sleep Out will take place in up to 50 locations around the world with a sleep out taking place at Trinity alongside a concert. Around 2,000 people are expected to take their sleeping bags to Front Square for the event on December 7.

Stormont Estate in Belfast will also host a sleep out on the night, with further announcements on the World’s Big Sleep Out line-up expected in the coming weeks.  A host of celebrities, musicians, Olympians, actors, broadcasters and politicians will take part in events around the world.

Organisers hope that 50,000 participants will sleep out and raise funds to help around 1,000,000 homeless and displaced people. 

Depaul, the cross-border charity working in the area of homelessness and homeless prevention, is the beneficiary charity and partner of The World’s Big Sleep Out in Ireland. Last year, the charity helped over 4,000 people experiencing homelessness. 

CEO of Depaul David Carroll said: “It is fantastic news that The Script are supporting the World’s Big Sleep Out event at Trinity College. Homelessness is a major issue right across Ireland with more men, women and children finding themselves homeless than ever before.”

“Support from an act like The Script will put a very large spotlight on helping those who are homeless and those at risk of homelessness. For the hundreds who are signing up to be part of this global initiative on Saturday December 7 you will make a real tangible difference.”

Commenting in September on the World’s Big Sleep Out event, Provost Patrick Prendergast said: “We are delighted to be hosting the World’s Big Sleep Out here in Trinity in December in an effort to focus attention on the problem of homelessness, not just in Ireland but worldwide. Our students and College community will join forces with people across the world to fight global homelessness.”

Research by the Institute of Global Homelessness shows that homelessness figures have reached a new level with more than a 100 million people homeless and displaced around the world. Depaul Ireland have stated that the number of homeless families in Ireland increased by 178% since June 2015 and the number of children currently experiencing homelessness in Ireland is  almost 4,000.

Other participating cities include New York, London, Los Angeles, New Delhi, Brisbane and Hong Kong. Actors Will Smith and Dame Helen Mirren will begin the event by telling a bedtime story in Times Square, New York, and Trafalgar Square, London, respectively. 

The Script’s appearance at the charity event will follow the release of their upcoming album Sunsets & Full Moons.