Council gives green light to new anti-racism working group

The motion was proposed by Ethnic Minorities Officer Sé Ó hÉidin

A new anti-racism working group seeking to bring together groups on campus working against racism has been established following a vote at Trinity College Dublin Students’ Union (TCDSU) Council this evening.

A motion to mandate the creation of the working group was raised following concerns that a disconnect exists between the current groups on campus which work against racism and identified that resources could be put to more efficient use through collaboration between the groups.

Speaking to Trinity News, Ethnic Minorities Officer Sé Ó hÉidin explained that the anti-racism working group has been established as a “way to keep everyone on campus who is working against racism in the loop”. 

“The Ethnic Minorities Officer is a relatively new role and putting the infrastructure in place for it to accomplish its role correctly is important,” Ó hÉidin continued. “There’s no point in representing ethnic minorities on campus when we have no way of hearing their voices. I think going forward we will be able to accomplish significantly more with this new group in place!”

The group, which is to be chaired by the Ethnic Minorities Officer, is to invite representatives from cultural societies on campus to participate. The TCDSU President and Welfare Officer are also expected to sit on the committee.

The motion was proposed by Ethnic Minorities Officer Sé Ó hÉidhin and seconded by Gender Equality Officer Ryan Carey.

TCDSU Council took place this evening at 7pm in the Stanley Quek lecture theatre of the Trinity Biomedical Sciences Institute.