Trinity awards Entrance Exhibitions to 452 new students

Students from 30 counties and 24 different countries received the awards

452 Junior Freshers from 379 schools around Ireland and abroad received Entrance Exhibition Awards from College last week.

The awards are given to students accepted into the first year of a full-time undergraduate degree programme who achieve the highest points among Trinity entrants from their second level school. This year’s awardees come from 30 counties in Ireland and 24 different countries further afield. Students received a certificate and a €150 book token for Hodges Figgis.

The 379 schools represented marks a 54% increase in the number of second level schools from across the island of Ireland represented at the awards ceremony since 2017. In 2017, 245 schools were represented at the awards, compared to 379 in 2019. The number remains unchanged from 2018.

Changes made to the awards scheme in 2018 meant that students who achieve the highest points among Trinity entrants from their secondary school with a minimum of 500 points in the Leaving Certificate or its equivalent second level final examinations are eligible for an Entrance Exhibition Award. This includes bonus points for Mathematics.

Previously, any students receiving 560 or more points, excluding bonus points awarded for Higher Level Mathematics, were awarded Entrance Exhibition Awards. In 2016, under the previous system, the Institute of Education saw 21 past students receive the award.

Congratulating the students on receiving the award, the Provost, Patrick Prendergast said: “We are delighted to welcome students from every nearly every county in Ireland and from 24 countries worldwide to the Entrance Exhibition Awards ceremony.” He noted that Trinity is “committed to encouraging a more diverse student community and the revised Entrance Exhibition Awards is part of that mission”.

The Entrance Exhibition Awards were awarded to 247 students from Leinster; 48 students from Connacht; 82 from Munster; 51 from Ulster and 24 international students.

Of those who received awards, 188 students are studying Engineering, Mathematics and Science; 117 students are studying Health Sciences and a further 147 students are studying Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences. Overall 51% of the 452 were female and 49% are male.

Finn Purdy

Finn Purdy is the current Deputy Editor of Trinity News. He is a Junior Sophister English Studies student, and a former News Editor and Assistant News Editor.