TCDSU impeaches Student Parents Officer

The motion to impeach followed a recommendation from the union’s Oversight Commission

The Trinity College Dublin Students’s Union (TCDSU) Student Parents Officer, Leah Freeman, has been impeached from her role by a vote in the union Council tonight.

Freeman was elected to serve in the role in March of last year for the 2019/20 academic year.

The impeachment of Freeman followed a report to Council from the union’s Oversight Commission. Ellen McGrath, the chair of the oversight commission, told Council that Freeman had failed to submit her officer report and was failing to respond to emails.

McGrath delivered the official advice of the oversight commission which was to recommend Freeman’s impeachment.

The motion to impeach was brought by Daniel O’Reilly the union’s Engineering, Maths and Science (EMS) Faculty Convenor.

The motion to impeach was passed with near unanimous support.

The role of Student Parents Officer is one of the part-time officer positions within the union. Part-time officers conduct their union duties whilst remaining in full-time study as opposed to sabbatical officers who conduct their union role as a full-time job. Part-time officers sit on Union Forum, TCDSU’s ruling executive.

Speaking to Trinity News, Freeman explained that she was off-books from October 2019 for the remainder of the academic year due to “very close family bereavements as well as going through treatment for melanoma”.

This article was updated at 19:12 on June 24 to include a statement from Leah Freeman.