All Trinity sport facilities to close on and off-campus

Sports facilities to close in line with the general College shut down

All Trinity sport facilities and activities at Trinity Sport Centre, Trinity Sports Grounds (Santry), Iveagh Grounds, T-Tech Boxing, Trinity Boathouse and Trinity Hall sports facilities are to be closed from 6pm this evening, according to an email circulated this afternoon.

The facilities are set to remain closed until at least March 29.

On the Trinity Sport website it states that Trinity Sport clubs’ fixtures and the hosting of club training will also be cancelled.

The closure of the Trinity sport facilities is in line with instructions from Taoiseach Leo Varadkar this morning that colleges and schools will close from tomorrow until March 29 in response to the coronavirus.

The Taoiseach said that “where possible” teaching will be continued online. Colleges have been told to remain closed until March 29. The provost sent an email to students earlier this afternoon stating that college will close at 6pm today and more details will follow.

So far, there have been 42 confirmed cases of coronavirus in the Republic of Ireland, with a further 18 confirmed cases in Northern Ireland. Yesterday, the first death due to the coronavirus in Ireland was announced.

The first case of coronavirus within Trinity was confirmed on Thursday 5, and is said to have since recovered. The second case, a Health Sciences student, was confirmed last night.

Finn Purdy

Finn Purdy is the current Deputy Editor of Trinity News. He is a Junior Sophister English Studies student, and a former News Editor and Assistant News Editor.