College preparing to replace exams with online assessment

“Alternate modes of assessment that can be delivered online” are being planned

College is making preparations to replace exams with alternative online assessment, according to an email circulated to all staff and students this evening.

The Dean of Undergraduate Studies Kevin Mitchell is making these preparations to establish “alternate modes of assessment that can be delivered online”. The email stated: “Note that there may be a very small number of cases in professional or externally accredited courses where in-person assessment is still required – if this is the case your School will inform you directly.”

According to an email signed by John Coman, the College Secretary, and Dr Niamh Farrelly, Acting Director of College Health Service, many students have also contacted College to ask about access to lockers. They said: “We understand that this must be frustrating but at this stage we have to reiterate that that the University has closed for students. Any large influx of people will put too much pressure on services.

Access to Trinity’s campus is currently permitted to limited groups following the government’s decision to close schools, universities, and cultural institutions from 6pm on Thursday until March 29.

Taoiseach Leo Varadkar announced the measures in response to the coronavirus in a statement to the media in Washington DC yesterday .

In an email circulated to staff and students shortly after 5pm yesterday, Provost Patrick Prendergast confirmed that while the government’s decision is in effect until March 29, it “would be wise to allow for the possibility of a longer closure”.

Trinity’s campus is closed to undergraduate students with the exception of those who live on-campus. Residents are to be required to show their identity cards in order to gain access.

Access for staff is to continue, while postgraduate students who require access to the campus in order to engage in “critical research projects” are to be admitted if they show they have received permission through email from their supervisors.

The first case of coronavirus within Trinity was confirmed on March 5 and has since recovered. The second case, a Health Sciences student, was confirmed on Wednesday night.

So far, there have been 90 confirmed cases of coronavirus in the Republic of Ireland, with a further 29 confirmed cases in Northern Ireland. On Wednesday, the first death due to the coronavirus in Ireland was announced.