Library confirms closure until late March

The service counters are closing at 5:45pm today

All library buildings will remain closed from 6pm until Sunday, March 29, inclusive, following a government announcement that colleges and universities must close.

The library confirmed the closure of service counters from 5:45pm today on Twitter, adding that due dates will be extended on any books that were due to be returned within the next two weeks.

Taoiseach Leo Varadkar announced that colleges and schools will close from tomorrow in response to the coronavirus in a statement to the media this afternoon in Washington DC.

The Taoiseach said that “where possible” teaching will be continued online. Colleges have been told to remain closed until March 29. The provost sent an email to students earlier this afternoon stating that college will close at 6pm today and more details will follow.

Varadkar stated: “There will be many more cases. More people will get sick and we must face the tragic reality that some people will die.”

He added: “We have a duty as a society to protect ourselves and above all to protect others”.

So far there have been 42 confirmed cases of coronavirus in the Republic of Ireland, with a further 18 confirmed cases in Northern Ireland. Yesterday the first death due to the coronavirus in Ireland was announced.

The first case of coronavirus within Trinity was confirmed last Thursday, with the second case, a Health Sciences student, was confirmed last night.

Hand sanitisers have been provided across campus and in off-campus locations in a bid to prevent a possible spread of infection. College has placed posters across campus with information on the virus, and has established a dedicated web page to provide updates and advice.

Trinity set up an expert working group to monitor the ongoing situation with the coronavirus in January.

Aisling Grace

Aisling Grace was the Editor-in-Chief of the 66th Volume of Trinity News. She was also formerly Online Editor and Deputy News Editor.