Spring graduations to take place as closed ceremonies

Commencement ceremonies are due to be live-streamed on the internet

Trinity intends to confer graduates in absentia in a closed ceremony in April, rather than hold the traditional public ceremonies in the Examination Hall, due to the spread of the coronavirus.

Trinity has contacted graduates who were due to be conferred on April 7, 8 and 9 to request their permission to graduate in absentia. Trinity hopes to live stream the event on the internet on April 7, according to an email sent to all staff and students this evening.

“The Chancellor Mary McAleese will lead the ceremony which we hope to live web stream so that graduands can hear their name being entered into the University record (circumstances permitting)”, the email read.

Students will be able to return library books via the Library van at the Lincoln Place entrance tomorrow from 12 noon to 2pm. In their email statement, College said: “If this slot doesn’t suit your schedule, we recommend that you hold on to your Library books until the libraries reopen,” adding that all loan dates have been extended and no fines will accrue during the closure period.

“If you will not be returning to campus, please consider asking a friend to return the books on your behalf,” the email read.

Access to Trinity’s campus is currently limited to certain groups following the government’s decision to close schools, universities, and cultural institutions until March 29.

In an email circulated to staff and students, Provost Patrick Prendergast stated that it “would be wise to allow for the possibility of a longer closure”.

College is making preparations to replace exams with alternative online assessments.

Campus is currently closed to all undergraduate students with the exception of those remaining in their accomodation. Access for staff is to continue, while postgraduate students who require access to the campus in order to engage in “critical research projects” are to be admitted if they show they have received permission through email from their supervisors.

Academic and research staff have been advised that they may come into College on “an occasional basis” in order to continue academic activities, including research activities and the preparation of online lectures, tutorial, seminars and labs, but that staff should not congregate in groups and follow social distancing protocols.

College services including the call centre, payroll, some parts of academic registry, health, counselling, disability services, IT Services, support services for online teaching and learning, security, cleaning, internal post and reduced catering are continuing to operate, while sports facilities, the day nursery, and the library are all closed

Taoiseach Leo Varadkar announced closure of universities in response to the coronavirus in a statement to the media in Washington DC last Thursday. On Tuesday evening, in a Ministerial address, the Taoiseach warned that “ this emergency is likely to go on well beyond March 29” and “could go on for months into the summer”.