This week in Trinity: Women’s Week, Jesus Christ Superstar and a foodie feast

Week eight of Hilary Term includes a range of events, from open mics to sex toy bingo

With International Women’s Day at the forefront of our minds, this week in Trinity sees a further celebration of women with an array of varied and inclusive events to attend. So go on – head to an event and support your female pals. It would be rude not to!

At 6pm on Monday, head to the Robert Emmett Theatre, because Trinity Publications and DU Gender Equality Trinity are hosting a panel entitled “Women with Words” in celebration of Women’s Week, with guests such as Áine Lawlor and Eiléan Ní Chuilleanáin. Alternatively, you can head to the Douglas Hyde Gallery at 6.30pm, where Trinity Women’s Review is launching its most recent volume. In the evening, DU Film is providing the perfect way to relax after the long first day back after reading week: a screening of Sex and the City in Lost Lane.

On Tuesday, Trinity FLAC is running a “Dignity Drive”, collecting sanitary products on behalf of Homeless Period Ireland, in the Arts Block from 12-7pm and the Hamilton from 12-3pm. Q Soc and Knit Soc will also be hosting their regular Stitch and Bitch session at 5pm. Then, the Battle of the Bands Semi Final at The Sound House will take place at 8pm, featuring acts like Gemma Cox and The Last Boys. 

Plenty is in store on Wednesday with the inaugural performance of TMT’s musical Jesus Christ Superstar in Belvedere College’s O’Reilly Hall. Likewise, TCDSU is putting on a Sex Toy Bingo in the Pav from 8-11pm, while Q Soc is hosting a closed space for women who love women at 3pm in Room 4 of the Atrium. For something a bit different, a díospoireacht le Cumman Gaelach will be on at 1.45pm in Seomra na Gaeilge.

On Thursday, DUPA is hosting George Voronov and Ellius Grace, who will be speaking about their careers in photography at 4pm in the GMB, while in the evening, DU Food and Drink is hosting a fantastic feast of a ball entitled “Feast VI: Around the World in 80 Minutes” in the RHA Gallery. Tickets are still available at €50, and they include plenty of music, wine, and intercontinental food. If you’re not feeling that hungry, Trinity Literary Society and DU Music are coming together to host an open mic night in the Buttery Vaults at 8pm. You need not worry about a hangover alongside your impending deadlines, as this is an alcohol-free event.

Finally, on Friday the Hist will host a Derby of Rhetoric as part of the Burke Sessions, where attendees are invited to speak on a subject of their own choosing for ten minutes. Alternatively, at 2pm DU Gender Equality Trinity is heading to Wigwam for its Not So Private Parts Speakeasy. Also, if you want to engage in some upskilling, The Hist will be hosting a public speaking workshop with the PR consultant Adrian Langan – it could be just what you need to ace that dreaded class presentation!

Alison Traynor

Alison Traynor is the current Life Editor of Trinity News.

Suzanne Flynn

Suzanne Flynn is the current Deputy Life Editor for Trinity News, and a Senior Sophister Law and German student.