Trinity falls in QS World University Rankings by Subject

Trinity’s global ranking has fallen across all five broad subject areas

Trinity’s global ranking has fallen across all five broad subject areas measured by the QS World University Rankings by Subject.

Trinity has fallen out of the top 50 universities in the world for Arts and Humanities, now ranked 53rd, and out of the top 100 for Engineering and Technology, Life Sciences and Medicine, and Social Sciences and Management.

Trinity is now ranked 111th for Engineering and Technology, down from 88th last year, 110th for Life Sciences and Medicine, down from 89th last year, and 110th for Social Sciences and Management, down from 89th last year.

In the only broad subject area in which Trinity was not ranked in the top 100 last year, Natural Sciences, College fell from 152nd to 191st.

Trinity has been ranked in the top 50 universities worldwide for four subjects in this year’s rankings. This marks a slight decrease from six subjects ranked in the top 50 last year.

Trinity’s highest ranked subject this year is English Language and Literature, maintaining its position at 28 globally, which it has held for the past three years.

Classics and Ancient History also remains ranked in the top 50, although has fallen in the rankings from last year from 13th in the world down to 30th.

Other subjects in which Trinity is in the top 50 globally are Pharmacy and Pharmacology, ranked at 45, Nursing, ranked at 48.

Trinity is ranked in the top 100 for a further 14 subjects, including Geography, Law and Legal Studies and Biological Sciences. Trinity has the most subjects ranked in the top 100 globally of any Irish university.

Rankings are decided according to academic reputation, employer reputation and research impact.

In recent years, Trinity has seen a consistent drop in its global rankings from both QS and Times Higher Education. College has sought to blame the decline on a lack of public funding for higher education in Ireland.

Commenting on Trinity’s fall from 120th to 164th place in the Times Higher Education Rankings, Trinity’s Dean of Research, Professor Linda Doyle, stated: “This is not good enough in a world that sees many of our global competitors improve their scores through focused and sustained investment by their governments. There is no denying that continuing underinvestment in university education and research in Ireland is catching up with us.”

Finn Purdy

Finn Purdy is the current Deputy Editor of Trinity News. He is a Junior Sophister English Studies student, and a former News Editor and Assistant News Editor.