Trinity SMF donate €10,000 to College projects

TAP, Inclusion TCD and the Sustainability Network were the recipients of Trinity SMF’s donations

Trinity Student Managed Fund (SMF) announced today they have donated €10,000 to Trinity Access Programmes (TAP), Trinity Inclusion & Disability Service and the Sustainability Network.

In a statement on their social media, Trinity SMF announced as one of their main aims is giving back they have continued their tradition of donating €10,000 to services on campus. This year TAP, the Trinity Inclusion & Disability Service and Trinity College Dublin’s Sustainability Network were the recipients of this funding.

Speaking to Trinity News, Kerrie Patterson Trinity SMF’s Chief Operating Officer stated: “We are delighted to be able to support such important initiatives.” She continued: “Our aim is to engage with all our peers and students across the campus, such as those in TCPID, TAP and those actively involved with the Trinity Sustainability Fund.”

Each year, Trinity SMF donate 10% of their overall profits as part of their mandate of investing in the wider college community services. The remaining 90% of their profits are reinvested in their financial portfolio. The view of these activities is that by reinvesting their returns they can continually develop and increase their profits making the future 10% donations more meaningful.

Trinity SMF was founded in 2010 and was the first student managed fund in Europe. Currently, they say they have a membership of over 900 students. Their goal is to create a unique and self-sustaining resource for educational development for Trinity undergraduates under a professional governance structure. Operating a financial portfolio, Trinity SMF, with the help of an advisory board of industry experts, help students develop real world experience in equity management. With over €155,000 assets under management (AUM), Trinity SMF is entirely run by students.

TAP work in partnership across the education sector with students, teachers, families, communities and businesses to broaden access and participation at third-level of under-represented groups. They offer a range of programmes aiming to help students succeed in third-level education and are expanding their services.

Trinity Inclusion & Disability Service represent the Trinity Centre for People with Intellectual Disabilities within the School of Education. They aim to promote the inclusion of people with intellectual disabilities in education and society.

The final service that received a donation was Trinity College Dublin’s Sustainability Network. On campus they are committed to implementing the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals through their nine ‘Sustainability Initiatives’ developed by the Green Campus Programme. Currently, they are comprised of the Green Campus Committee and the Provost’s Sustainability Advisory Group to implement policy.

Shauna Bannon Ward

Shauna Bannon Ward

Shauna Barron Ward is a staff writer at Trinity News. She is a Junior Sophister Law student.