Binary Hub and Kavanagh Court to offer partial refund to some residents

Binary Hub are to offer partial refund to all those who left early while Kavanagh Court are asking students to fill out an application to apply for a refund

Binary Hub and Kavanagh Court, two private student accommodation complexes leased exclusively for the use of Trinity students, have said they will offer partial refunds to some students forced to leave early due to the Covid-19 pandemic.

However, students staying in Kavanagh Court have been told that they have to fill out an application to apply for a refund and that applications are being processed on a case-by-case basis, while those staying in Binary Hub have been told that anyone who left early will receive a partial refund.

Binary Hub, operated by the accommodation company Aparto, have stated on their website that all students who have left will be refunded any licence fee or rent paid beyond May 2 until their tenancy end date.

They have also offered a 30% rent refund on the period from May 2 to the end of their tenancy to anyone who is remaining in their apartment and has rebooked for next year.

Kavanagh Court, which is operated by the company Uninest, have told students that have left early that they will need to fill out an application form, asking them to explain their situation and provide supporting documents to apply for a partial refund.

One student who stayed in the complex this year told Trinity News that the company has given no indication of what the criteria they will have to meet to be eligible for a refund is.

The Union of Students in Ireland (USI) have urged all providers of student accomodation to provide refunds to students who had to move out due to the spread of the coronavirus.

Trinity initially ordered residents of private complexes Kavanagh Court and Binary Hub to vacate, along with all residents in Trinity accommodation except when students meet certain criteria.

Trinity then reversed the decision, saying on the Trinity website that “we recognise that these properties are not owned or managed by Trinity College but by private providers. Therefore we are not in a position to manage the situation for students residing in Binary Hub or in Kavanagh Court.” Trinity said that they were “strongly advising” students leaving in these complexes to leave but were not requiring them to do so.

The provost said in an email statement that Trinity would refund students who leave campus or Trinity Hall early but could not guarantee that Binary Hub or Kavanagh Court would provide refunds. “We believe that private-providers should also do this but of course that is ultimately a matter for the accommodation providers,” he said.

Finn Purdy

Finn Purdy is the current Deputy Editor of Trinity News. He is a Junior Sophister English Studies student, and a former News Editor and Assistant News Editor.