Normal People snaps up four Emmy nominations

Trinity alum Paul Mescal has been nominated for outstanding lead actor

Popular television show Normal People has received four Emmy nominations across categories for acting, directing, writing and casting.

The show features a number of Trinity alumni on-screen and behind the scenes, including Sally Rooney, whose novel the show is adapted from.

Paul Mescal has been nominated for outstanding lead actor in a limited series for his lead role as Connell Waldron.

Mescal, 24, graduated from the Lir Academy at Trinity with a BA in Acting in 2017.

He is nominated alongside Jeremy Irons for Watchmen, Hugh Jackman for Bad Education, Jeremy Pope for Hollywood, and Mark Ruffalo for I Know This Much Is True.

Lenny Abrahamson, a Trinity alum, has been nominated for outstanding directing for a limited series.

Sally Rooney and Alice Birth have been nominated for outstanding writing for a limited series, while Louise Kiely is nominated for outstanding casting for a limited series.

Element Pictures, the production company behind the series, tweeted: “Overjoyed that #NormalPeople received an incredible 4 #Emmy noms, including Outstanding Lead Actor in A Limited Series, Outstanding Directing For A Limited Series, Outstanding Writing For A Limited Series & Outstanding Casting For A Limited Series. Massive congrats to team!.”

TCD Alumni offered congratulations to the nominees on its Facebook page, writing: Congratulations to #NormalPeople stars & Trinity alumni; Paul Mescal, Lenny Abrahamson and Sally Rooney who have been nominated for Emmy Awards!”

“We wish them the very best of luck.”

Additionally, Irish actor Andrew Scott was nominated for outstanding guest actor in a drama series for his role in the television series Black Mirror.

Scott briefly studied drama at Trinity before leaving to join the Abbey Theatre in Dublin. 

Normal People follows Trinity students Connell and Marianne from secondary school to graduation as they navigate the ups and downs of college life and young romance.

Parts of the show were filmed on Trinity’s campus in July 2019, including in the Ussher and Berkeley Libraries, the Arts Building, and Front Square.

The BBC has commissioned another series from the team behind Normal People based on Rooney’s debut novel Conversations with Friends.

Abrahamson, Rooney and Birch are all due to be involved in creating the series.